1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post: "Marty Schottenheimer, NFL coach whose teams wilted in the postseason, dies at 77"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kolchak, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

28-3: Dan Quinn dies again

dixiehack and Elliotte Friedman like this.
  2. awriter

awriter Active Member

Is that right? The Post sports section doesn’t handle sports obits?

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

"Chocolate magnate Charlie Bucket, accused of stealing secret beverage during Wonka tour, dies at 85"

"Dottie Henson, whose dropped throw cost Rockford a World Series title, passes at 90"

"Harry Callahan, vigilante cop never convicted despite multiple police brutality charges, dies of self-inflicted gunshot wound"

ChrisLong likes this.
  4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Lucy Van Pelt, Bitch Who Never Actually Held The Football, Dies at 110

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Seriously, that headline on Schottenheimer was weird. You think it was one of those mistakes that wasn't supposed to make it into print? You'd either have to be quite a jokester or just a jerk to write a headline like that.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Someone somewhere tried kerning Schottenheimer into a 1-column hed.

Close your eyes and imagine how funny that would look.

HanSenSE and I Should Coco like this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'd put that part in the body, way down near the end. It'd be classless to do otherwise. :D

Liut likes this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There are several programs, Chartbeat among them, where you can test heds. You enter an alternate headline (or headlines) into the web portal, and different viewers will see different headlines when they go to your homepage. There are so many factors that can affect those results, I'm not sure how valid they are. It's pretty much busywork assigned to web producers when editors overseeing the producers want to feel important.

Cosmo likes this.
  9. stix

stix Well-Known Member

The headline was fucking stupid, no matter how they arrived at it.

Under no circumstances, unless maybe that person is Hitler, do you try to be snarky or bring up a person’s shortcomings when they die. Never, ever.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Is That How You Write It, Charlie Brown?

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Whoever made the mistake won’t learn their lesson. You can’t say anything to snowflake millennials anymore and the Post is overrun with them

Dog8Cats and Fredrick like this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm picturing something like my Champions Tour agate when Mark Calcavecchia won a tournament in a playoff and we had an editor who liked to run the par scores.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted