1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post: "Marty Schottenheimer, NFL coach whose teams wilted in the postseason, dies at 77"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kolchak, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Just ... Do better. There's supposed to be a craft to it, don't just write the first jackass thing in your head in some interest of haste.

wicked, Dog8Cats, Liut and 1 other person like this.
  2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It reads like a joke cracked on the sports desk that someone didn’t realize wasn’t meant for print.

Liut and HanSenSE like this.
  3. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Active Member

Fred Merkle’s “boner” was mentioned in the first sentence of his obit on the AP wire.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Terribly disappointed, whether it came from the Washington Post or the Podunk Times.

Headline writing is a craft. You especially need to take special care on obits. A family is mourning. You don't need to add to it by hitting below the belt like that.

AP did it right: Marty Schottenheimer, NFL coach with 200 wins, dies at 77.

And you wonder what the Post has in the can for Trump's obit.

wicked, maumann and Liut like this.
  5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I wonder if Trump, when he passes, will lie in state in the Capitol Rotunda.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Podunk Times would never write that. It takes the arrogance of a WP or NYT to do it.

The headline was not written carelessly. It was written to grab rage clicks.

HanSenSE, MileHigh and Liut like this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

On Twitter people were theorizing it was an "A-B test," though I have no idea what that means. Something to do with SEO. It's why it was changed so quickly. Again, reeks of someone well outside of the sports footprint trying to draw eyeballs to the website.

Liut likes this.
  8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just wait'll you see what The Post has in store for when Kobe Bryant dies!

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, that's all laid out. All current and former presidents have their funerals mapped out years in advance. I'm guessing a huge production has been laid out.

Liut likes this.
  10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Alma-

I don't believe that. I've worked with these millennial neckbeard 'producers' - more than I've cared to.

They want their #clicks no doubt, but rather for their own perceived cleverness than anything else.

Somebody thought this was pithy. It wasn't - it just sucked. It was bad work.

Dog8Cats, maumann and Mngwa like this.
  11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yup.

Or they just give me (a former sports anchor) any of the newsy sports stories to write.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I shudder to think what Dan Quinn's obit will look like. :eek:

PaperClip529 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted