1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Titans beat reporter, The Tennessean

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Adam94, Nov 24, 2020.

1. adcs2

adcs2 Member

McMuffin or hotcakes and sausage?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That makes this line even more laughable:

I think we've all lamented the fact that the reporters on major beats at major papers seem to be getting younger and younger. Sometimes it seems like if you don't reach that level by the time you're 30 you never will. But the truth might be that only someone with the boundless energy of a 20-something, and no outside responsibilities like a spouse and kids, can handle the time demands of the job these days.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Anybody with some inside knowledge on how much this pays? Just curious how much the landscape has changed. Fifteen years ago this would have been a destination job. I assume any paper that hires now is looking for someone one step above entry level pay grade ($50,000ish max), but curious if there are actually papers out there that are still paying senior level salaries for what used to be senior level beats.

4. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

No chance this pays $50K. I'd be shocked if it paid $42K, given that I know of a section editor there who's told me they make less than that.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  5. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

You’re joking. 40k to cover an NFL team for the paper of record in one of the fastest-growing cities in the country? No wonder these jobs are going to 23-year-old snowflakes

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. ScottyB

ScottyB New Member

Any updates here? Are they hiring from within? Or have they started interviews?? I've got 12-plus seasons on an NFL beat and haven't gotten a sniff so far.

7. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

It's Gannett so they might either go with just one person or be in hiring freeze. I mean the job has been posted for over two months.

8. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Based on what the former Titans reporter said on Jeff Pearlman's podcast on his way out the door, it already was a one-person beat so I think they'd definitely keep it that way. Hiring freeze is on the table for sure.

By the time they hire someone they'll have missed the draft.

9. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

That is pretty crazy. Nashville, playoff team and one beat reporter for the Titans. I am sure Gannett has all the important Titans info like 5 best foods to eat at the game stories down lol

10. AndrettiSJ

AndrettiSJ Member

This has been filled.

Draft saved Draft deleted