1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm the prosecuting attorney at home, the defense attorney here. Different audiences need to hear different perspectives to break down their water-tight preconceptions and open their minds.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    TigerVols and lakefront like this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

If you believe they put a kook in the room, kook in the room.

Baron Scicluna, Woody Long and garrow like this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

OscarMadison, lakefront and Alma like this.
  4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

My gosh, is she having herself filmed all of the time?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The deprogramming piece, and the Roth piece, are two fascinating aspects of the conversation.

Roth’s writing is terrific - and funny - but lands at, by the end, that these people are irredeemable.

“Post by post and provocation by provocation, it is absolutely as stupid and ridiculous as it looks. But whether it’s out of some curdled honor or sincere belief, the more important point is that they would absolutely kill to keep it all going, because they cannot imagine any way of being outside of it. For all the wild talk of vengeance and violence and humiliation, the fantasy catharsis of firing squads and military tribunals and the rope, there’s nothing they truly want on the other side of those lurid resolutions. They need to feel like this all the time, because they can’t imagine another way to feel.”

As a graf of pure damnation, I’m not sure you can get better that that.

The flip side is that deprogramming operation. A sister who can process everything Roth wrote, and nod along with it - I nod along with it - but then, still wants her brother out of the ideology, too.

One of the reasons I thought Obama handled radical Islam well - one of the reasons I think we’re on the other side of it, honestly - is because he resisted demonization of it. ISIS
    was and is awful, no doubt, and Americans were murdered by ISIS, and I’m not sure they’re remembered they should have been. But...I think Obama turned down the heat a lot. I think he helped, globally.

I think we’re in a David Roth phase of examining this, right now, and I think a strong moral shudder, mixed with denunciation, is appropriate. I also see the sister who, having won the battle of being the better person, kind of wants her brother back.

TowelWaver, champ_kind and dixiehack like this.
  7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

FIFY

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So they are admitting what they are airing is false and slanderous. Good. Exhibit 1 in their defamation lawsuit.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's fine.
    I'm perfectly comfortable saying, "No, dear, Stalin was wrong about this" at home and "Look, people, Putin is not Stalin" here.

If that makes me a contrarian, so be it. Sounds pretty damn reasonable to me.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering what OAN is charging to run 12 hours of infomercials.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"I don't trust the lamestream media at all. I get all my news from a cable channel that is willing to air--for 12 straight hours--an election documentary by a pillow peddler that they clearly don't believe in."--Trumpists

SFIND likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted