1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reddit vs. Wall Street

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The bookish rationality of theories ain’t got nothing on post-postmodern internet trolls.

maumann likes this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Man, I was sure it was a rubber tree plant those ants were up in legs about.

The more you know ...

maumann likes this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Now, while it's fun to see SUITS! get theirs in the shorts (literally), I do wonder what kind of exposure there might be to retirement plans and pensions.

Somebody's investment money is getting blown up as a result of this.

We hope the folks running Georgia Teacher Retirement System aren't counting on hedge fund money to keep it afloat. But who knows?

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think this is the first inkling some Wall Street folks are getting of how truly despised they are by society at large. If Trump had whipped a crowd into a frenzy and pointed it at the floor of the NYSE, he might have gotten twice the turnout for his riot - and not all from Republicans either.

maumann likes this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Yes

qtlaw likes this.
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

When someone makes money in stocks, someone loses right? I’m not shedding one tear for these hedge funds assess.

If one fucking stock sends everything crumbling, then Wall Street is a bigger fucking joke than I thought. My retirement better not be all on one pony.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My investment guy called today. We talk now and then, but first time this year. I picked up and said, "No, do not buy GameStop." He laughed really loud.

We have a great relationship as he manages my personal portfolios as well as the the LLC that is from selling my late brother-in-law's business and the new owners paying off that debt.

It was to set up a new-year outlook and where we're going with the accounts, but we had a good discussion about what was going on and he was like, "We are not even touching this."

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m more interested in the people who just happened to own Gamestop before all this.

When I was in my early 20s and stupid— okay, even stupider — I once accidentally bought stock in Forward Industries, a company that made cellphone and medical device holders because I typed in FORD in my Vanguard account. Because it was a small amount of money, like 200 bucks, I was going to put on Ford during the height of the economic crisis and Ford had dipped to insanely low levels, I just quickly bought it without looking too close.

I held it for like three years because I just wanted to see if I could randomly make money off it (I didn’t)Now I’m imagining someone did that with Gamestop and suddenly had $300,000.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The stock market by definition is not a zero sum game. The stock price of certain stocks should rise IF they make profits which increases the valuation of ones share in the whole company. So one winner doesn’t necessarily mean a loser. But with these derivatives, yes there’s a loser for every winner.

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

And here I thought it was because they lacked strong male role models.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not if they bought it under 30.

Draft saved Draft deleted