1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running video games (and consoles) thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Will Hernandez, Dec 20, 2006.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Just thought it was worth mentioning since the horror stories of kids racking up silly amounts of microtransactions are legion. Their presence puts me off any game, no matter how good. If I'm going to buy a game, I'd rather pay it all up front than get nickel-and-dimed every time I play (of course, I say that as someone who owns several Paradox titles). Same thing that put me off Hearthstone.

I don't envy parents with kids whose gaming experience has always included microtransactions. One approach I've heard people use is requiring their kid to convince them that the purchase will actually improve gameplay instead of just being for cosmetic reasons. That probably requires having some familiarity with what they're playing, but it beats just waving through every request.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I hear what you are saying. Luckily, my kid does not seem like the type who will drop $1,000 in a month in Fortnite skins.

I will never forget, though, watching an interview with Supercell on 60 Minutes when Clash Royale was hot and their company was valued at over a billion bucks that they make all their money on the impatience of people who don’t want to wait to play the next game.

I have to admire the brilliance.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

I'm goin' in! Thanks, bud,

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. DanielSimpsonDay

Madden and especially 2K have become "pay to win."

EA is just fucking brutal with the microtransactions across all titles.

Octave and sgreenwell like this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I don't play 2K online or use the create a team shit. I just play with the Bulls, either present or Jordan-era.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I've played for many years - I had so many hours in Everquest back in the day that when I looked at my hours played, divided it by forty hours into work weeks, I blanched and quit playing. That's circa 2000, 2002. At around that point I guy I knew quit his job doing CAD work for an architect and started to play it for a living. At that time you could sell rare and desirable items from the game on Ebay, which he and the woman he later married did. He doubled his income for a year and a half or so, when EQ pressured Ebay to outlaw it. Almost any game with an in game currency has Chinese and Korean sweat shops who pay kids peanuts to farm gold that they sell online to WoW gamers or whoever for cash.

The microtransactions are basically equivalent to concert promoters seeing tickets they were selling for $30 going for over a hundred on the secondary market. The promoters started jacking up prices so they got that cream, added high dollar seats in choice locations, all that. The corps are squeezing that cash out into their own pockets. For me the line is "Is a game truly pay to win?". Does stuff available for cash actually make your game better, or is it just cosmetic? I don't object to things like selling "premium time", where you buy a day/week/month's time where your experience and gold gained is 50% higher. Essentially, you would be paying to save some time. You don't get anything someone without premium time can get, you just get it quicker. If items available only for cash have a substantial effect on game play I want no part of it.

Octave likes this.
  7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I don't do microtransactions unless it is a solid actual DLC, which I suppose they aren't the same thing. My kid who plays Fortnight a lot has partaken in them but with his own money or asked like things like V-Bucks for gifts, so I suppose that's deal. At least he's smarter about it. He only gets what he can afford if he wants something. I've tried to tell him it's a waste of money and that that's how these games really get you, but I suppose if he enjoys that little bit he can get. If it gets worse than that we may need to have more of an intervention.

8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Right now I'm playing The Show, and I love that I don't have to deal with any of that grabass to very gradually plow through a pandemic-era 2004 replay.

Batman and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

With a kid it gets down to how much they're spending and where that money comes from. If it comes from mom and dad, that's a place to set limits. OTOH, if it's ten bucks that he didn't spend to go to the movie and spent on new skins for his game, what's the difference? It's the same entertainment dollar. If it's his own money, well, he worked and got it and wants to spend some of it. As long as it isn't insane its ok.

Tighthead likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

11. DanielSimpsonDay

Regan MacNeil and sgreenwell like this.
  12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Ps5 gets here today!

Draft saved Draft deleted