1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom vs. Patrick -- Super Bowl LV thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

41-27 Chiefs.
    Mahomes throws for 380 and 4 TD.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The Bucs have Suh, he's good for one stupid penalty right? That guy should've been Donald-esque but instead he was/is a knucklehead. I love the Brady story but the Bucs to me are all flash but not solid. They make great catches, but will drop perfect throws; David and White fly around making highlight tackles but get washed out on basic runs.

I think Chiefs are more disciplined, on both sides of the line, and its 38-20 Chiefs. In many ways, I'm happy for KC because I've watched how they never got there in all those years from Dawson - Mahomes (Marty time, etc.)

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

See Dan Marino after 3 years. If he’s as good as Marino in the end Mahomes will be a top 15 QB of all time. That’s amazing. Great.
    Brady is the best football player of all time. The QB of 10 teams to play in the championship. To be 6-3 so far. To be dropping dimes into a coin slot from 40 yards at age 43. You don’t have to like him as a person. If he didn’t earn your respect 10 years ago, you don’t belong talking sports. The only argument to be accepted against Brady is the rules prevent he QB from getting brutalized. Montana took more brutal hits in just the games he played gainst the Bears and Giants than Brady has taken in his any 10 seasons.
    The games are played to win championships. Brady is in Bill Russell territory.

X-Hack likes this.
  5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I’m sorry, what is this in response to?

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Only the Chiefs can beat the Chiefs. But play they will.

However:

Hockey: USA over Russia

CFB: Miami over Nebraska

History: Colonies over England

7. heyabbott

That Mahomes has made it to the top after 3 years, not just top 3 in the league, but inferring he is a top All Time QB, already

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He is one of the top two QBs in the league, Rodgers being the other. That's pretty good. It's kind of hard to match Brady's record with only three years as a starter. Why don't we wait and see how Mahomes does. That might be fun.

9. heyabbott

I think that’s what I said earlier. And yes, he’s now top 2 in any given year he’s playing

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

However, if you compare their first three years, Mahomes has a better record, threw for more yards, a higher completion pct, more TDs, fewer INTs and more rushing yards. He’s also won a Super Bowl like Brady did, with a chance to win a second. He’s been better in pretty much every facet of the game than Brady was at a comparable point in their careers.

He won’t get to 10 Super Bowls because he doesn’t have Belichick/Pioli to maintain a championship roster over two decades, but he’s off to a helluva start to his career.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Will there be an sj.com squares pool? I once won $750 in my office pool.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You might have been inferring that, but the only one who seemed to be implying that was Scout. At least I think that's what he or she was implying by seeming to dismiss Rodgers, Brees, Manning and Marino as not being the "real thing."

I think the rest of us took "the real thing" to mean an elite-caliber quarterback with the ability to match those greats.

None of us have claimed Patrick Mahomes is the greatest QB of all time. I'm not sure even his biggest fans/promoters have said that. If that's what was meant by "the real thing" in Scout's original post, then yes, he has a ways to go.

I thought the statement meant we don't know yet if he's great.

The question has been answered. He is great.

Mahomes is not a fraud, nor a flash in the pan, nor a one-year wonder. He is that good. He's not going to just revert to being an average player. Unless he gets injured or something screwy happens, he'll be a Hall of Famer. His talent is real. He's shown everything a quarterback needs to reach that level -- arm strength, accuracy, athleticism, decision-making, leadership, ability to read defenses, ability to perform under pressure and anything else you care to name.

Best ever? Maybe he will be. No one is ready to say that now.

But he is most certainly the real thing.

swingline likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted