1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Ultimately, with a mid to late first round pick in the NFL, non-QBs, you generally want a guy that starts for you. The ceiling can vary, but I imagine most first round draft picks start 3 to 5 years, many from day one. Just picking a random year - 2007 - it looks like 17 of the 32 players made at least one Pro Bowl. Would you trade like, Brandon Meriweather or Dwayne Bowe's career for about two to four years of Stafford? What about Greg Olsen though? It's a really esoteric question and value comparison, I realize, so I can understand plenty of teams saying yes, and plenty of teams saying no.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They have a good number of unrestricted free agents to either re-sign or lose, too.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Whatever quarterback moves are made during the upcoming offseason, rest assured the Bears will make the absolute worst one.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Every team that needs a quarterback should be able to get one through draft or trade this yeah.

The Colts seem too perfect for Stafford. Keeps him with a team in a dome. Got a QB friendly coach and a good running game. Wide receivers are getting a little older but still a solid group.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Like, I can’t legitimately fathom QB success for the Bears. Even I f somehow they manage to land the prize in Watson it’ll probably be because they gave up the Sonny Weaver Jr. trade of three firsts and three seconds.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not telling you anything you don't already know, but the Bears could have landed Watson in, oh, the 2017 draft.

At least the GM who made that horrible draft day decision has been shown the door. Oh, wait ...

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you are still wondering if that QB you gave a big deal to will eventually earn it - you should probably move him. Even if it is for another QB who hasn't set the world on fire, you at least change the conversation.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Mark Madden reports TJ Watt skipped his exit interview with the Steelers and told them to send his stuff to him in Wisconsin. Watt denied it. Leading to this.

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

With the QB demand there’s going to be they’ll get 1 plus
    49ers have 12
    Highest pick I’ve seen of the interested teams
    If the Colts want him, and Stafford wants the Colts, which is the whisper, it’ll probably take 21 and 54
    Washington has 19
    It would need to add a pick too
    If Watson stays the price for Stafford goes up

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can't see the Tweet, but when I see Madden's name on something, I know it is bullshit. His source was probably some guy he ran into at a bar.

I see it now. Madden has since claimed that he went back to his source, who confirmed the original story. Wake me if someone who actually has some credibility says or writes something about this.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The Saints have no fucking money. They are going to be $70M OVER The cap. They can't trade for Matt Stafford, hell they are hoping they can re-sign Jameis at mid-level rate since Hill is in the final year of his contract.

The Steelers are over the cap too. That's why they are hoping Haskins has something worth salvaging.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware of the Saints' cap situation. That cap number for the Steelers assumes Roethlisberger plays for them in 2021. If he's gone, that saves them about $19 million in cap space. The only way they would be in play for any veteran quarterback is if Roethlisberger retired or they cut him. Unfortunately for Pittsburgh, I don't think either of those things is going to happen.

Pouncey retiring is going to help a little. They will restructure some contracts. They may end up cutting Joe Haden. The most likely scenario is Roethlisberger plays one more year, the team struggles to reach 8-8 in 2021, and then they hope they can find a quarterback and rebuild for 2022.

Draft saved Draft deleted