1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JRoyal, Jan 5, 2021.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

What is this nonsense about the Network moving to Peacock

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I read the story, and I'm still not quite sure how it'll work. Seems like it might be a good deal. The Network is currently $9.99 a month and will be folded into Peacock Premium, which is also $9.99 a month.
    The rollout begins on March 18, with the first Peacock PPV being Fastlane. So Wrestlemania will be on whatever Frankenstein's monster of a streaming service they have by April.
    This Variety article makes its sound like it's just the content on the Network, and Raw will continue to be on USA.

Peacock Becomes WWE Network Exclusive U.S. Streaming Distributor - Variety

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It makes some sense from the WWE perspective, in that they can unload some of the costs of the Network (bandwidth, customer support) to Peacock, which probably has a greater infrastructure. However, I think it would hurt their future TV contract bids, if a good amount of their streaming content / infrastructure would need to be untethered from Peacock.

4. JimmyHoward33

Im so confused. I have Comcast so I can get Peacock on my cable box for free. I dont have the first idea what my log in for that is or how the hell I’d log into the Network on my tablet or at my girlfriends house. This sounds like a gigantic pain in the ass.

It also sounds like the first step on the road to the return of PPV (under the ufc/espn+ model).

Sucks. Nice for Vince for the billion dollars. Blows for the rest of us

5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I don't know how exactly how they'll integrate the WWE product, but Peacock was pretty easy to work with (I tried a free trial for the Saved by the Bell reboot -- don't judge). It operates no differently from Netflix, Hulu or any other of the similar streaming services.

One drawback: Peacock (as of now) is not available for download as an app on Amazon Fire, so I had to watch through my laptop or the Peacock app on my phone.

My couple questions: I'm presuming this will include the vast archives, too? And will Fox have any issue with its SmackDown being available (after a few weeks) on an NBC product?

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think for most Comcast stuff, your box already knows your subscriber information, and for stuff like Peacock, your account details are just whatever your Comcast stuff is. We use Peacock and I don't recall ever having to fill out anything, or even to give it a separate email. If you have one of those remotes you can use voice commands with, we usually get to it with, "Play 'Forensic Files' on Peacock." (Yeah, that's pretty much the only thing I use it for now.)

7. JimmyHoward33

right, so when I want to watch the Network someplace besides my main TV with the cable box..... I have no idea how to get into Peacock

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I kinda get the feeling it's a move toward that, too. The press release about it doesn't specifically rule that out.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  9. nietsroob17

You could use your computer and/or smartphone. You would have to log in with whatever your Comcast account info is.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. nietsroob17

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hell of a promo from Edge.

Draft saved Draft deleted