1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You can leave both of them out.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Jake Delhomme? ;)

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Talk radio here very interested in Pats getting Matthew Stafford. No one, host or caller, has confronted the unhappy truth that New England doesn't have the assets it needs to trade for him.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Patriots are more than a quarterback away, especially on offense. Other destinations make a lot more sense.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The Patriots have all of their draft inventory for 2021 still - If they want Stafford, they can get him. I like Stafford, but he'll be 33 by the time next season starts, and his range has been #8 to #16 QB in the league for most of his career, depending on how you want to look at it. He's not a "trade everything!!!" player like Watson.

Webster likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree with OOP. The Pats can't trade away too many draft picks because they have too many holes. And they cannot really afford to trade any of their competent veterans because that just creates more holes.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Didn't they have about 8 players opt-out of the season? If you add those guys back, that's a pretty good amount of talent coming back. Unless there is a QB option they like more in the draft, I think a first-for-Stafford is more agreeable to me than rolling the dice with the currently projected FA quarterbacks. You basically need an A or A+ at every other position, a la the Baltimore Ravens with Trent Dilfer, if you have an average or worse QB. (I'm also of the mindset that Stidham is probably closer to a DFA candidate than a reasonable option, given that they were happy to play Cam Newton when he could barely throw over him.)

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Will someone give up a 1 for Stafford?

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I think so. Take a look at the Colts. Philip Rivers just retired. Rest of the team is pretty much set, and Stafford is an upgrade over Jacoby Brissett. Hand Detroit a 1, draft some kids to develop behind an already-strong roster and proceed.

Additionally, I'm thinking Stafford has 3-5 good seasons left. If you knew you could get that level of guy for a 1, it's probably green-lighted.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

After I wrote that, I thought about the Colts. Especially since they once gave up a 1 for Trent Richardson.

Seriously, I can see that since they already have a lot of really good pieces in place and need a QB. Not sure anyone else would do it. I don't think the Saints would.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A top-half 1, probably not. Something lower than that, it depends how badly they need a QB right this minute.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Saints may still be operating under the delusion that Hill can be the successor to Brees. They may not be in on Stafford, but they should.

If Roethlisberger retired tomorrow, the Steelers could get in it. It would basically put them in the same place with the cap as they would be if Roethlisberger plays in 2021. They have the pieces for a good defense and quality receivers, even if Smith-Schuster leaves as a free agent. That said, even if Roethlisberger was gone, it still isn't likely.

The Colts absolutely make the most sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted