1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

AA093D4A-8A18-432B-ACBB-F2B0ED111A3C.jpeg
    hope she gets her shit handed to her in prison

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

It’s big news here in Alberta that KXL is cancelled for political reasons. Lots of job losses will he caused this side of the border and fewer on the US side. I wouldn’t be too dismissive of the job losses in the US as although the building of it is temporary, those are still high paying jobs that aren’t easily found.

Cancelling KXL plays well with the green types in the party but is short sighted in my opinion.

Trudeau has next to zero chance of picking up seats in Alberta. Our awful provincial government blames everything on him and even if they weren’t there’s still a pretty strong anti Trudeau sentiment here.

I Should Coco, UPChip and maumann like this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good read.

4. Iron_chet

There already is a pipeline to the West Coast.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Our concern down here shouldn’t be Justin Trudeau’s political future.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kind of ..... weird ..... that Joe Biden is running the White House in the sense that Trump really is gone. I haven't watched TV. What has CNN and Maddow's channel been like the last 72 hours?

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I have less than zero pity for anyone taking a loss on Keystone XL getting justly shut down.
    From its inception, it was a hard no. Then, Trumpy gave it the green light simply because Obama was against it.
    People did an end zone dance and now want to cry when the touchdown gets called back because of a penalty.
    Tough.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think it has more to do with refinery capacity and capabilities. You can't refine tar sands oil just anywhere. The Enbridge Line 3 pipeline runs from Alberta to Superior, Wis., of all places.

You're almost certainly true on the Trudeau/Alberta thing. My hypothesis is that the angrier he makes Western conservatives, the more emboldened O'Toole is to mount a drive to bring down this government as soon as COVID is over. Granted, the NDP is probably not going to join the Tories and the Bloc and bring down the government for supporting pipelines, but even if he gets this minority government to 2023, something like that is going to make him look hostile to jobs in the same ridings in Ontario and Quebec that keep deciding these elections.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

10. Iron_chet

It wasn’t a “hard no” from the beginning. Parts of it are already built on both sides of the border. Building happened pre-Trump.

It’s become a symbol because Trump overturned Obama’s decision.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

It's an environmental disaster. A private company has illegally seized land through eminent domain. Trump's cronies forced it through tribal lands despite their rejection.
    Starting something in one place that approves and taking it up to the edge of somewhere else that disapproves hoping to be given a thumbs up is not a good model.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted