1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

All fair questions. From what I understand, Amazon/Starbucks are offering up personnel experienced in setting up mass distribution channels moreso than actually cutting into their production lines. It's clear that state governments have no idea how to do this.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Dude, I think Ragu hacked your password.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

new thumbs who dis

SFIND, wicked, Regan MacNeil and 3 others like this.
  4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Now, it’s true that our distribution system is a mess and needs fixed yesterday. But it's not going to solve the fundamental problem that Pfizer and Moderna are pumping out something like 5 million doses/week each for the US, and there's a lot more than 5 million people in the US.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Everyone in the U.S. could be vaccinated twice in 2 1/2 to 3 months at that rate of production if we are actually able to get the vaccine to people. We haven't been anywhere near that pace, and I am certain we won't get to even close to that pace, so I'd suggest the fundamental problem isn't (and won't be) Pfizer and Moderna producing vaccines quickly enough.

6. RickStain

Population of United States: 329 million
    Doses needed to vaccinate everyone twice: 658 million
    Time needed at 10 million doses per week: 65.8 weeks, or about 1.25 years.

7. The Big Ragu

My bad. I read it as 10 million doses combined per day.

Are you certain about those numbers, because the U.S. has contracts with them that have them delivering way more doses than that? For example, I am pretty sure that the U.S. has contracts with Pfizer to deliver a total of 200 million doses by the end of July.

8. RickStain

I'm not 100% certain, but it's in the ballpark. You'd think that information would be easily publicly available, but you have to sift through all kinds of drips and drabs in news reports and press releases.

Those contracts are predicated on output expanding as time goes on. I think they can reach those contracts, but it's going to be more weighted toward the back end.

We'll get there, it's just gonna take another month or two before we have as much vaccine as we'd like.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Which assumes everyone takes the vaccine, which won't happen.

10. The Big Ragu

MileHigh and RickStain like this.
  11. RickStain

It'll be just like tests. We went from 10k tests/day in March to 100k in April to 1m in July.

Even if we fixed the national distribution problem immediately, it would still be a world of people trying to get appointments and not being able to. By early March, we should have two more options approved and the existing options should have increased their manufacturing output, so that should improve the situation considerably.

MileHigh likes this.
  12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

A week or so ago, O.C. had lots of doses and L.A. didn't. *They were for frontline workers. Now, L.A. has lots of doses and O.C. doesn't.
    Lots of friends (65+) are having no problem getting vaccines at Dodger Stadium or the Forum.

In O.C., a website called Othena is hopeless. You register, then after that it just says "LOADING." Provides no information whatsoever. I waited 90 minutes the other night then gave up. UC Irvine is supposed to have a vaccination site this weekend, but no appointments available. Soka University in Aliso Niguel is supposed to have a site next week, but is using the Othena website.

Specifically, I am scheduled for hip replacement surgery on March 19. I need both shots before March 5, or I have to wait until after some of my recovery. And I will be in a hospital for a couple of days, wondering which germs are lurking. Very unsettling.

*edit to fix stupid writing

Draft saved Draft deleted