1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

bernie berserker girls think sexy

Woody Long likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We've just been through four years of Blame Obama, Hilliary, etc. That means nothing. Putting needles in arms, that's the thin.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Thinking about this Eric Hoffer quote - not sure Trump was ever seen as a "movement" but the underlying popularity he had from folks definitely qualifies.

“Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.”
    — Eric Hoffer

And then I read some of his other stuff. It really hit home and made me better understand the Trump movement. How many longshoreman/writers do you know who get a Presidential Medal of Freedom from Reagan? Worth checking out his wikipedia page for the short-versions of some of his writings.

Eric Hoffer - Wikiquote

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This is true enough, and something that the journalists need to keep in mind. That said, it is also true that there has never been any national plan outlined publicly, not even the framework or outline of one, let alone any details. There were announcements and statements of policy - but announcements and policy under Trump meant very little. If anything, from the start the federal Covid-19 policy under Trump was not to have one, to dump it in the laps of the various states. It was utterly predictable that fifty states would rise to the challenge or fail to do so to varying degrees.

The need for a national policy and effective standards, for assistance and support both operationally and financially, has been obvious since the very early days of the pandemic. The only good thing about there being no federal framework in place is that there will be no need to repair the parts of it that were ineffective or designed with an eye toward politics and image instead of effectiveness. It is still true that having to build a response from a standing start a year into this will have an effect on how quickly Biden's policies and the various new people managing them can start to make a substantial difference.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Judges would have accepted "profligate" instead of refractory.

maumann likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

I blame the NFL [/crossthread].

7. Neutral Corner

Frankly, I don't care who gets credit. It's obvious that it won't be Trump's people in large part. I give them full marks for getting the vaccine into production quickly, although I submit that this effort was one that anyone who was President would have pushed hard to make happen. This is a binary solution set: Either we begin to vaccinate the public en masse as quickly as the logistics can be put into place, or the response drags along as it has. All the manufacturing capacity in the world makes no difference if it is not delivered and administered. Vaccine in the arms of the population is the goal. Get it done.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

To be fair, yesterday was a momentous day on many levels. I think that things will calm down - but I also expect a lot of policy changes which cause discussion. Throw in the various revelations which will be dropping as scandals are revealed by examination of documents and by whistleblowers, indictments and testimony to Congress and in court. I don't think this thread will lack for fodder to discuss.

At least we won't be greeted by tweets from the Golden Throne every morning.

9. HanSenSE

One other thought: We know how bad Trump's so-called plan was, why would you follow it?

10. Neutral Corner

You examine it and retain any good ideas. No one has a corner on the right answers. Then you chuck the rest and get to work.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

How race baiter-grifter Al Sharpton is not shunned by the media -- in fact, he is "Rev" to the truckling chucklehead MSNBC hosts -- is among the most appalling sights of our time. He is the black Donald Trump.

12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted