1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Fairbanks, Alaska

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Adam94, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sell your car and buy a Piper Cub.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Did you actually fly to any of the remote sites for games? If so what type of aircraft did you fly in? I would think that the flights could be terrifying.

3. MarcoEsquandolas

MarcoEsquandolas New Member

As far as traveling to assignments: I went to Minnesota to cover the junior hockey team play in the NAHL Robertson Cup National Championship, Anchorage for the high school state hoops tournament and all over Alaska for the Yukon Quest sled dog race, which required a couple Bush flights on a little Cessna.

A lot has changed since my departure, however, and I’m not sure how much traveling there would be. You definitely aren’t hopping on a plane to cover a high school game a few hundred miles away, though.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I remember waiting for a MARTA train at Five Points on a cold, windy evening in January, bundled up in a ski jacket, gloves and wool cap. And the guy next to me was wearing a polo shirt and shorts.

I asked, "Canada or Alaska?" He replied, "Just got off the plane from Fairbanks."

Beautiful country. Perfect gig for somebody out there who loves that kind of stuff. But just like Hawaii, Alaska feels so isolated from the rest of the country (and world, for that matter). You got to love the loner life to make it work.

Woody Long likes this.
  5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Haha. I remember being in the Honolulu airport and seeing people wearing overcoats and fur jackets. When I stopped laughing I realized I had no idea where they were going, or where they'd just come from. They could have been traveling to or from Buffalo.

maumann likes this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yakutsk says "Hold my snowcone."

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 2.35.24 PM.png

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

In Yakutsk, you don't catch cold. Cold catches you.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

At some point in the past five years, I believe the Fairbanks paper was sold to a non-profit organization.

I'm not sure how that's impacted things like staffing and the budget for travel.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The News-Miner is owned by the Helen E. Snedden Foundation, which bought it from Dean Singleton. C.W. (Bill) Snedden owned the paper rather a long time ago before selling it to Lean Dean (but not to Media News), and the current iteration of the foundation developed from one that was first founded to create and beautify parks in Fairbanks.

Thoughts from the other time I saw a help-wanted ad from them: Daily News-Miner is a great name for a newspaper.

27 years later, same help-wanted ad. Except it’s online now instead of in the back pages of E&P. This time I’m not applying.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    I Should Coco and maumann like this.
  10. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Maybe you could really create a brand. Ride with Ice Road Truckers from game to game.

11. Zach_James

Zach_James New Member

When I was in La Crosse, I experienced 35-ish below and my apartment's furnace gave out. That was not a fun day.

RonClements likes this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My first job interview after college was with the Ketchikan Daily News, by phone. Editor had been there a long time and seemed personable, and I was quite intrigued. But I felt like I had to see the place first and their budget understandably didn't include flying in candidates from 3000 miles away for entry-level gigs. Wonder how life might have been different if I had just gone for it anyway ...

Ketchikan is no Fairbanks though in terms of climate. Just maritime-rainy as heck, not so much oppressively cold.

Draft saved Draft deleted