1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

and route you through the gift shop before getting the second dose

Michael_ Gee and OscarMadison like this.
  2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Phrasing matters for everyone, including clickbaiting media trying to give the wrong impression to readers with poor reading comprehension.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

Mutations are not, at this moment, an issue for vaccines. It is not impossible that they could become one eventually, but it is pretty unlikely, and we do not currently have any evidence that any known mutations are an issue for any of the current vaccines.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When they find a variant in which the spike protein that the vaccine targets has been affected. ... that is a big story. I don't want propoganda, the way you have continually argued for on here. I want facts.

From what I have read about that outbreak in California elsewhere, they simply know that there is a mutation to the spike protein and they now need to test the variant against the two mRNA vaccines to know if it is resistant.

I don't see anything "gross" with a story like this, similar to how earlier on the thread you wanted stories about vaccine side effects propagandized to sell something to people rather than just report what was and wasn't factually known at that moment in time. The story itself doesn't say what you just posted about "50/50." It accurately quotes a virologist up top saying that they did genetic sequencing on a variant that is spreading, based on that sequencing it might be less susceptible to the vaccines we have, but more investigation is needed.

What we do know is that millions of people are getting a vaccine that targets the virus's spike protein. If a variant becomes predominant with a mutation to that spike protein, there is a chance (which means what it means) that it can render the vaccines ineffective.

I just don't see why its gross or journalistic malpractice somehow to honestly report something, and I don't understand your insistance that everything should to be propaganized. It's not what I personally want.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    SFIND likes this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The Pirates won’t even touch the COVID attendance rules. Two thousand at a Pirates game? Shit.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

So at some point in all of this, people who have gotten the vaccine are going to take their masks off and not give a fuck about anti-vaccine people. Am I right?

Will Biden say take the masks off and fuck the rest of you?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Even with a vaccine that is 95 percent effective, unless we achieve some sort of herd immunity, there is still statistically a 1 in 20 chance of people contracting Covid even if they are vaccinated. That itself should be incentive for people to stay masked up and avoid crowds. On top of it, given that there are new variants that seem to be more contagious, it makes it so that a higher number of people need to be immune to achieve herd immunity. With viruses that spread relatively easily, such as measles, it required a larger percentage of people to be immune to reach that herd immunity.

What people will actually do? That is beyond me. But if your thinking is, "I am vaccinated and now I am perfectly safe," you are probably feeling a sense of complacency that is out of proportion with the reality. You are certainly safer -- much safer for the variants of the virus that exist currently -- but the virus is still a threat.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I read that Dippin Dots (yes, those Dippin Dots) has done or will do the same. I didn’t even know they were still around until I saw them in the local Walmart a couple years ago.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It's the ice cream of the future. The future isn't here yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

wicked and Mngwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted