1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Fairbanks, Alaska

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Adam94, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Adam94

Adam94 Member

If I could pick up and move to Alaska I might consider it, but really I'm just curious how you all will react to an Alaska-based job. So isolated, but it's supposed to be a beautiful place, too.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports reporter

The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner is looking for a sports reporter who can also help a little with pagination in our sports-heavy part of Alaska.

Our seven-day sports section focuses largely on local sports, including the many that are unique to the Arctic.

You'll help cover sports at more than 20 high schools in a 500-mile radius, the University of Alaska Fairbanks and its two NCAA Division I sports (men's hockey and coed rifle) and eight Division II teams (volleyball, women's swimming, men's and women's cross-country, men's and women's basketball, and men's and women's Nordic skiing).

You could also be covering the Fairbanks Ice Dogs of the Tier II Junior A-level North American Hockey League, and the Alaska Goldpanners independent summer college baseball team. Interior Alaska is rich in sled dog racing, too. We've got the Open North American Championships, one of the premier sprint mushing events on the planet, and the 1,000-mile Yukon Quest International Sled Dog Race. There's also coverage of the World Eskimo-Indian Olympics, the Yukon 800 Marathon riverboat race, the 2,000-mile Iron Dog snowmachine race, and a vibrant running scene, which includes the Midnight Sun Run, conducted during the summer solstice. Fairbanks also has a world-class curling community.

Basic knowledge of InDesign or a comparable program is helpful.

Email your cover letter, resume, and work samples to Jobs@NewsMiner.com

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'd have loved this, and gone for it, a few years ago. In fact, it intrigues me now. But I doubt I'd be the person they're looking for at this point.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

If you're expert on InDesign and Sled Dog Racing, you are unique and you should be hired.
    Spent a couple days in Fairbanks two years ago. Seemed like a wonderful place. We tried to see the Aurora Borealis at a Sled Dog kennel the first night, but it rained, dammit. Did the Wilderness Tour on the Chena River. Learned a lot about the Alaskan culture and A LOT about glaciers and glacier silt.
    But, 20 high school, 500-mile radius ....

BurnsWhenIPee and RonClements like this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Went to Fairbanks as part of a 2 1/2-week visit to Alaska in 2003. It was OK. Fairbanks, not Alaska. I love Alaska. It's definitely remote and we were there for the summer solstice and took in the Midnight Sun baseball game and didn't see a night sky our entire trip. I could handle the summers up there but no way the winters.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

A coverage area of a 500-mile radius? I presume the reporter doesn't actually go to these high schools.
    Alaska is amazing. I think of the map of the state superimposed over the lower 48. It would extend from about Pensacola to Seattle.
    A circle with a 500-mile radius centered in Columbus, Ohio, would include NYC, Atlanta, Memphis, Chicago and Milwaukee.

Adam94 and Doc Holliday like this.
  6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I'd encourage you to apply if you're intrigued. What's to lose? Nothing. What's to gain? Happiness perhaps.

7. MarcoEsquandolas

MarcoEsquandolas New Member

I held this job for a few years.. happy to answer any Q’s via PM. Coldest I ever saw it was 52 below.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And Lake Tahoe is just 15 minutes away.

9. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

52 below? Damn! I'm from Wisconsin and I think the coldest I've ever experienced was like 20 below. Layer up!

10. CelticsPhan5

CelticsPhan5 New Member

whole heck of a lot colder than -7

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Whopping -2ºF in Fairbanks right now. Gonna have a heat wave, though: +25ºF on Monday.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Coldest I've been in was minus-15. We had a minus-50 up in the Rockies a couple of weeks ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted