1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

FanDuel handed out a helluva lot of money last night with that Bama ML -110. And was there any Bama offensive prop that didn't cash? As usual they covered the first half too. Amazing.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I hit Bama and the over, but narrowly lost on the final spread being Bama by 18-24 (+700). Had OSU scored on one of those two near TDs in the final 5 mins, it would have been a nice payout. Finished down $5.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Today is the final day of the Single Game Parlay for FanDuel. I can't imagine the millions they've handed out on that.

playthrough likes this.
  4. playthrough

Great gambling crack is back -- NHL first period totals. Got hooked on these from the VSiN guys, who discovered five teams a couple seasons ago that went over 1.5 goals in the first period at about a 75 pct clip -- and north of 90 percent when playing each other.

I thought I recalled Vegas as having busy first periods when playing at home. Tonight? Two goals in the first two minutes, followed by an opponents' goal two minutes after that. Giddyup.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Do you guys watch ESPN's Daily Wager show? I think its a good show to get ideas for gambling. Their "Best Bets" are absolute shit. They went 1-5 on Sunday and 1-4 yesterday. The only guy worth a spit is Puck Daddy.
    So I didn't watch daily wager until around 5 30 Pacific yesterday.
    Puck Daddy likes the St. Louis Blues to win in regulation-127

I go to bovada, but the game is already at end of first period, and St Louis is down, 2-0. They are at +250 to win.
    I put a couple of bucks on the Blues at +250. St Louis wins in regulation 5-4

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So which teams should I look for?

7. playthrough

Teams with stout offenses but not necessarily great goaltending for overs, plodders with good goalies for unders. Nashville and Boston have been decent unders over the last couple years, for example. But again, it's the closest thing to instant gratification gambling for hockey, so it can be a crapshoot. And for overs you need to pounce early since the lines will often get juiced way up. When potent offenses play one another you'll even see first-period totals at 2, which is a bit crazy.

8. exmediahack

Daily Wager is great to get a sense of strategy on how to approach a game... but I'd recommend doing your own homework. I've found their people to rarely be on a heater with their picks.

DW picks too many games. You have to *really* focus on a particular game, angle, prop bet within the game. The swings in baseball and hockey for live betting are rather violent.

I like soccer totals and, for NFL, "exact number of touchdowns" for a particular team. Those totals are often +200 to +400 bets, depending on the number. Plus, they're easy to hedge.

poindexter likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Won my FanDuel playoffs contest this past week. Should have been two weeks in a row, but Ben threw to the wrong wide receiver at the end of the Browns/Steelers game and I lost by one point.

If I could just stay away from online blackjack I might be on a real roll ...

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I proudly turned $2 into $5 last night on FanDuel!

So I started with $25 and I will stay with the $1. If I can get it to $50, then I will play the $2.

I know. I’m a rebel.

11. playthrough

The NFL game prop for shortest touchdown -- always 1.5 yards -- can sometimes make for good arbitrage. For Buf/KC, I found the over at +147 on DraftKings and under at -125 at BetMGM.

exmediahack likes this.
  12. exmediahack

Dang. It dropped to +134 just now as I was lining up the arb.

Draft saved Draft deleted