1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Succinct:

garrow likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

This one might stick to Gym Jordan. We can hope so.

Hooray4snail and garrow like this.
  3. Neutral Corner

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If a real outlet hasn’t confirmed by noon Thursday, I’m calling bullshit.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Careful what you ask for, bitch

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Trumpers right now are like addicted gamblers still thinking they'll get on a lucky streak (they're DUE!) and end up ahead. I was talking to my mom about Trump, and a relative, and the people you see on Dr. Phil who continue to enable people and allow themselves to be used and taken advantage of - admitting "defeat" is almost unthinkable, admitting they were wrong the whole time? That their understanding of the "relationship" was flawed from the beginning? Shrinks and historians are going to have fun digging through this era of history.

garrow and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

All I know is Melania better get the divorce papers in and her payout before all the Trump money is gone.
    Of course, it will be justice for her to wind up with nothing, too.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think we devolved to the United States are.

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

No thanks. There are people smarter and better at it than I'll ever be who followed similar paths of inquiry for a while and eventually had to choose between peace of mind and continuing to expose what they found at their peril.

I'm pretty close to the "walk away and tell stories and make things in peace somewhere away from this" part of the program.

Neutral Corner and Liut like this.
  11. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

'The Punisher' star Jon Bernthal lashes out at 'misguided and lost' Capitol rioters for appropriating Marvel hero's famous skull symbol

This one is minor, but being the nerd that I am, it caught my attention. Apparently, many of the morons who attacked Congress were wearing the symbol of the Marvel Comics character, The Punisher. Neither the creators of the character nor the actor who played him in the Netflix series, Jon Bernthal, are happy about it.

Bernthal is definitely on the liberal side of things, and from everything I've heard and read, he's the complete opposite of his violent, aggressive character. To provide a little background, some military, ex-military, and police officers have also adopted the symbol. Bernthal has acknowledged that with gratitude. The character, Frank Castle, served in the military, but he is also a symbol of the system failing some people. This was acknowledged in an issue of a Punisher comic, with the character telling police officers that they are nothing like him, and if they want a role model it should be Captain America.

It just got me thinking that our police officers see the worst in our society. Those who serve in the military often see the worst the world has to offer. I can see why the character of Frank Castle resonates with them, but the point his creators are trying to make doesn't extend to what happened at the Capitol building.

In recent years, the Punisher’s logo has been adopted by members of law enforcement, much to the consternation of the character’s co-creator, Gerry Conway. When multiple police officers were seen wearing the skull symbol during last year’s Black Lives Matter protests, the writer set out to reclaim the logo by launching a fundraising project benefitting activists. “It’s disturbing whenever I see authority figures embracing Punisher iconography because the Punisher represents a failure of the justice system,” Conway told Syfy Wire last year. “He’s supposed to indict the collapse of social moral authority, and the reality is some people can't depend on institutions like the police or the military to act in a just and capable way.”

Celebrated comics writer Garth Ennis, who had a well-received run on the comic in the early 2000s, has also criticized those who view the Punisher as a heroic figure. "I’ve said this before a couple of times, but no one actually wants to be the Punisher," Ennis, who also created The Boys franshise, remarked to Syfy Wire in the wake of the Jan. 6 riot. “What they actually want is to wear an apparently scary symbol on a T-shirt, throw their weight around a bit, then go home to the wife and kids and resume everyday life. They've thought no harder about the Punisher symbol than the halfwits I saw [on Wednesday], the ones waving the Stars & Stripes while invading the Capitol building.”

To be clear, I was aware that active members of the military and veterans found a connection with Bernthal's version of the character, who appeared in the second season of Daredevil, then had his own solo series for two seasons. They at least tried to address some of the mental scars that stay with people who serve in combat, so that does make some sense. I know Bernthal has spoken about that being important to him in the past. I also get the concern about the ideas behind the character being corrupted by people who actually tried to destabilize our government.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.