1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For me, separation of church and state is more about the government establishing a state religion than trying to keep everyone's behavior in the government completely secular.

Alma likes this.
  3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Lots of things have long histories. That doesn't mean they are necessarily good. In the grand scheme of things, America is not particularly old.
    We've seen how religion in general and Christianity, in particular, have been weaponized in the U.S. . Maybe it's time to take seriously the idea that freedom of religion can also mean freedom from religion. I don't want the government dictating how I observe Christianity, and I feel it is the legal right of my neighbors to observe their spirituality as they wish or even not observe any sort of religion at all. Inserting religious rituals into government functions serves as an unfair, bully pulpit.

In other threads, I've mentioned that lawmakers in Tennessee post and tweet random, out of context passages from the Christian Bible. Does this in any way demonstrate the ability to think beyond their own experience? Can they find some way to better understand and represent the diverse constituency they claim to serve? If you were areligious or part of an ethnic or religious minority in Tennessee, would you feel safe seeing your lawmakers behave that way?

Mngwa likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Are there any Jews in Tennessee?

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is exactly right.

I don't think anything has been forgotten. First, there are many churches that actually are actively and regularly involved with food banks and homeless shelters and the like, and those efforts shouldn't be overlooked simply because they are never enough. They probably never will be, because the issue is how big and widespread the problem is.

Second, if there is such a problem, and it exists in people's purview enough to be noticed and to anger them, then perhaps the questions that need to be asked are, "What can I do about it?" and "What AM I doing about it?" as individuals. That is what's not done enough -- either in the questioning or the execution. Anyone can be an angel on Earth, and the hands and feet of Jesus, rather than just getting upset that "the churches" aren't doing anything about a problem. The whole idea is that we are meant to be the church.

Not easy, but that's the truth. None of us are good enough, which, of course, is another real, hard truism.

6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Other than my late Dad? Yes, quite a few.

Songbird likes this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thank god.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...d04840-3a3e-11eb-9276-ae0ca72729be_story.html

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

So should public schools begin the day with non-denominational prayers?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Personally. ... I don't think they should. I find the religious zealotry in this country personally ridiculous.

I don't think it is a constitutional issue, though. Given that stuff like that is so important to so many people, it's a part of our country for better or worse. It's simple enough for little Johnny to stand there for a minute visualizing what the girl who sits in front him looks like naked. ... just as I used to do when they would give us a moment of silence for prayer when I was a kid.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Memphis in particular.

Tova Mirvis has written her share of fiction about it.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

My understanding is that her former community is not such a fan of her work. Not very charitable or flattering. Her subsequent work makes it clear she's pretty bitter about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted