1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 17 thread -- Plaxico reminds you that gun safety is cool

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

No, because everyone is assuming the best player is a quarterback. And of course it is the most valuable player award, not the best player.

But why is Aaron Rogers the best player? Why isn't Henry or Diggs or Xavien Howard who became the first guy in over a decade to pick off 10 passes? Why isn't T.J. Watt or Aaron Donald the best?

Isn't there a case that Henry is the most valuable? Or Diggs with how much better Buffalo is? Maybe Davonte Adams is the most valuable/best player on the Packers.

Jerry Rice had seven seasons he could have been named the MVP. He never won but it's okay because it allowed Brett Favre to be the MVP an extra time.

I totally acknowledge that a quarterback is going to get selected just about every year. But when there are opportunities to give it to a worthy non-QB, I'd go that route.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I mean, the NFL isn't MLB - where it's easy to crunch what's essentially one-on-one matchups - or the NBA - where you only have 5-on-5 to consider vs. 11-on-11. But we can get rough estimates of player values, and yeah, Rodgers and Mahomes probably are hugely more valuable than the best current players at skill positions. I don't even think it's that much of a question - We've seen great WR and RB without decent QBs struggle to get to .500. That's probably why Adrian Peterson won in 2012, because he dragged the Christian Ponder Vikings to a 10-6 record. (It was also, probably not coincidentally, a season without a dominant QB performance - Peyton's first year in Denver got him the All-Pro nod, with "average" years from Brady and Rodgers getting them nods as well.)

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Both teams have to deal with it. Maybe it will be a little easier for the Steelers because they saw pretty much the same team they will face in the playoff game. Denzel Ward might be back, but that's about it, and Pittsburgh has seen plenty of him. The Steelers will look different with Roethlisberger, Watt, and Heyward on the field. (I'm not counting on Edmunds and Ebron, though they might be better off without the latter given his drops and his inability to block.) I'm not sure there is much mystery, anyway, among division rivals, so I doubt it makes much of a difference.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Rodgers is like Mike Trout. He could get it every year. But in football, the voters aren't as inclined as baseball voters to spread it around. They have become totally quarterback-centric. Quarterback is the most important position in a way center field could never be, but it still grates on me. It's a statement by the voters that a player protected by the rules, if rightly so, from the full force of the game's violence is always its most valuable. Make a rule saying you can't tackle Henry below the knees or above the shoulders and see how many yards he gains. Make it illegal to double team Donald or Watt and see what happens. For one thing in the last case, Aaron Rodgers gets massacred.
    For all that, 2020 is one of the best seasons of a Hall of Fame quarterback. Rodgers is no less legitimate because he's a shoo-in.

5. outofplace

Speaking of Watt and Donald, who is the NFL Defensive Player of the Year? Watt ended up leading the league in sacks, tackles for loss, and quarterback hits despite sitting out the final game. Donald was second in sacks with 13.5 and forced more fumbles than Watt (4-2). Watt had more tackles, passes defended (7-1), and intercepted one pass.

Xavien Howard led the league with 10 interceptions and 20 passes broken up, but does he affect the game as much as Watt and Donald?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think it could be Donald every year.

7. outofplace

He is definitely in the discussion every year. Given that the Steelers are likely to try to lock up Watt long term this offseason, I'd be happier with Donald getting it. :)

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

MVQB
    MVRB
    MVWR

Name give one for each position.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't think this is true at all. This is his first truly great season in a while (without checking stats - impression).

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Kelce, in particular, looked really pissed off on the sideline Sunday night. I'm not surprised to hear that.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted