1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Titans beat reporter, The Tennessean

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Adam94, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Job opportunity at Gannett | USA TODAY NETWORK - Sports Reporter - Tennessee Titans NFL Beat - The Tennessean

The Tennessean is looking for an experienced sports reporter to cover the Tennessee Titans.

This reporter, based in Nashville, will help cover the team on and off the field, from games to personalities to issues that affect the Titans and NFL. The ability to break news is critical, but more importantly, it’s about telling great stories and building an audience.

The position is for someone capable of producing high-value digital content including enterprise stories that provide context and analysis and entertaining features.

The content will also appear in print and digital for our seven other sites in Tennessee as part of the USA TODAY NETWORK South Region, in addition to USA Today.

Responsibilities:

·Complete understanding of how to execute tactics on growing subscriptions through headlines, topics and storytelling.

·Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.

·Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.

·Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.

·Works with region sports director and content strategists to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.

·Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.

·Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.

·Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.

Requirements:

·Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.

·NFL or other high-level sports beat experience preferred; strong digital skills required.

·Ability to develop strong sourcing and produce content that takes advantage of all formats available to us, including social media, mobile, desktop, video, television and print.

·Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

·Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.

·Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.

·Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.

·Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.

·Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.Ability to work some nights and weekends.

·Comfort building a beat and communicating with athletes and coaches.

·This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.

·Pre-employment background check and urinalysis drug screen required.

Application Instructions:

We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit yourself to a resume; show us what you've done. Please upload a single document with as much of the following as possible:
    A brief cover letter explaining your interest and fit for the position, your updated resume, and portfolio/clips/links to a few samples of your work.
    It’s important that your materials be combined into a single document (preferably in PDF format). The application will only allow one document upload. Completing these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.

Here's what we have to offer:

We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, 401k, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits.

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

That's a hum-dinger of a job description, I mean hmmmm-dinger ... the first thing addressed is improving penetration and/or circulation.

3. Adam94

Adam94 Member

You're not wrong, but I feel like I see some version of that near the top of any job opening for a journalist these days. Gannett is probably a top offender.

I like that it starts with "Complete understanding" of how to execute tactics etc etc. What if I only have an 80% understanding? You won't help me learn the rest? :(

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  4. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ this is an insane amount of responsibilities they’re jamming into one job. This is a job for three people not one.

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

An NFL beat job comes with a lot of work. I remember being on the Rams beat and sitting at a McDonald's in Augusta, Ga., eating breakfast when news of the Jeff Fisher hire broke. I stopped eating, texted Kevin Demoff to confirm, and then started to write something up. I was on a mini-vacay to visit my sons. It's a 24/7 job.

Jesus_Muscatel and Batman like this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Way back when the Internet was just starting to roar through the news, a baseball writer -- might have been Tim Brown -- said, "I don't know if I'm never on deadline or always on deadline."

7. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Right. And on top of that, this job is asking you to be a content producer, content strategist and content manager. Those are three separate jobs in a non-journalistic enterprise.

Jesus_Muscatel and Adam94 like this.
  8. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

The dude that left this job went on Jeff Pearlman's podcast recently. Definitely did not give a glowing review of his experience in this spot.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  9. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Interesting, I'd like to listen to that. Thanks for letting us know. I read that guy's goodbye column and I think he said he was going to Columbia for a sports management master's. i.e. getting out of the journalism business altogether.

10. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

A beat reporter has a non-glowing review of Gannett!?!? I'm stunned.

Zads07, BurnsWhenIPee and HanSenSE like this.
  11. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

The only time you can rest as an NFL beat writer now is between the end of mini camp and the middle of July since the rest of the league is on vacation too and all the rookie contracts are done. You just hope and pray a player doesn't do something stupid and shows up on the blotter.

RonClements likes this.
  12. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Does Gannett care about breaking news in NFL? I don't think so. I can't think of the last time the beat reporter any of the Gannett NFL beat reporter in my area broke news....it's almost always Rap or Schefter breaks the news and they "can confirm report..." later. I think they just put that in there because it sounds good and has added buzz words but these are largely the same applications for a decade.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted