1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the cringiest thing you've written?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Dec 18, 2020.

1. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

So was the grandkid who told you that just trying to be funny? Did you think that you misheard him? Is there a place called Metallica that we've never heard of?

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Oh no, there was no mistake what he said. I think he was trying to be funny, but even that I can't be sure. I did over hear him talking to someone else about whether the band member would be there. It was a time I really wished I had spent a day trying to verify it. When the lady died, the paper used what I wrote in her obit. Makes me feel even worse.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Follow up, I just did a Google search to see how painfully bad my Metallica story was. For the first time in 16 years, I found a source that didn't quote my article that makes it slightly plausible she actually was his grandmother. It might actually have been true. Still really wished I had done a real fact check (I mean I really missed an opportunity to have a legitimate reason to call Metallica's PR people).

Draft saved Draft deleted