1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

oy

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Man, I was so in the The Progressives when they were first starting out. Then they signed that big record deal, starting putting out cute little pop singles for the masses and AOC started giving these corporate interviews to Rolling Stone and MTV.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but you still have to admit, she was pretty hot in her debut video.

[​IMG]

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

This may have already been discussed while I was offline at Christmas, but has anyone else seen WW84?
    Pedro Pascal is the main villain. You could totally make a drinking game out of all the allusions to Trump.

TowelWaver likes this.
  5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I guess the Progressives are OK, but I found cheaper insurance.

garrow, HanSenSE, outofplace and 4 others like this.
  6. Chet the Jet

Chet the Jet Member

If you didn’t get enough face time w PP in Mandolarian, you will get your fill in WW 84. He is best thing about the movie.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Probably true.

But had he come out in March and said, "People, when you're out in public you MUST cover your noses and mouth before this thing gets out of control --- and I'm calling on all state governors to mandate this and hope we can begin mass production of disposable masks this week" --- it most certainly would have changed something. It was the ultimate "nothing to lose" recommendation, same as the "wash your hands" we heard from Day 1. Before a single business is even closed.

He's not the enemy. He's not a super-villain. But he's not God, either. As usual, there's no in-between around here.

RickStain and Songbird like this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He had no scientific basis for saying that in March. They were still trying to figure out how it spread. There is still quite a bit we really don't know definitively about how the virus spreads.

From a common sense standpoint, back in March I was thinking that I had nothing to lose by wearing a mask, maybe something to gain. ... and spending time in NYC, I was in the hotspot at the time. So I made my own 2-ply cloth mask and started wearing it, before anyone was "recommending" it.

The problem for Fauci in March was that there was a run on masks, and hospitals and medical practices were having trouble getting their hands on enough personal protective equipment for their staff. My brother in law and sister are MDs, and both were dealing with this for months.

So this is where Fauci (and that idiot surgeon general) were. They didn't have definitive evidence, or really enough of any evidence to feel entierly confident about anything yet with regard to how the virus was spreading. At the same time, there were serious concerns about hospitals and doctors and nurses having enough masks, IF this was an airborne respiratory disease. Dealing with that set of circustmances, apparently they made the decision to try to prioritize hospitals and medical practices getting the (shortage of) masks that were available.

Obviously, when it became more evident that it was likely being spread by airbone droplets, they started trying to get people to wear masks, even if they were homemade two-ply cotton masks.

Yet, somehow, the narrative with certain assholes now isn't, "Wear a mask," limit interaction with other people, etc. because these are the best defenses we have. It's been to mock mask wearing, turn it into some nonsensical civil liberties fight, and to make it like not wearing a mask today has anything to do with where we were 10 months ago and something Anthony Fauci said at the time based on where we were at that time. It's disingenuous bullshit.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    HanSenSE, Webster, TowelWaver and 3 others like this.
  9. BTExpress

As I said, there was NOTHING TO LOSE by recommending it. He could ALWAYS walk it back later. Changing recommendations to "less strict" is always easier than changing them to "more strict."

And another mistake was highlighting the "It's not to protect you; it's to protect others around you" nonsense.

It has ALWAYS been to protect both. But they thought they could get around the "muh body, muh choice" argument by emphasizing the "protect others!" appeal of the mask. All it did was make people question it even more ("How can it protect others and not me? That doesn't make sense!").

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The demonization of expertise is the real problem.

11. BTExpress

You can't keep playing the "we didn't know enough" one minute and "expertise!" the next.

If we didn't know enough, the expertise was obviously lacking.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

We had the lieutenant governor of one of our country’s biggest states saying it was time for him and all his 70-year-old buddies to die, that they’d leave it all in Jeebus’ hands because Tom’s Watering Hole needed to be open or the union would fall apart. Fauci and others were trying to tell people not to be selfish dicks and to think of their fellow man — same message Jesus has, by the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.