1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I was already skewered on the Books Thread for suggesting people read these books by the late Nabeel Qureshi, but they offer a lot of well-researched information, and are good reads for anyone interested in the topics of Jesus and Islam, and one of them has one of the best, clearest and most understandable explanations of the Trinity that I've seen: So give "Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus" and "No God But One" a try.

John Ortberg's book, "Who Is This Man?" is also good.

OscarMadison and 3_Octave_Fart like this.
  2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Thank you much, I'll indeed.

Azrael, this is a good pull.
    [​IMG]

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Here's a good one from the scholar in the NPR interview I previously linked.

And this is a good next-step book after that:

No.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Of course. Who wouldn't want to know?

I've always been intrigued about Jesus "the man" but not by voodoo magic mystical mythical bullshit storytelling ... like how Mary was a virgin.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I'm even less interested in a pissant like Marco Rubio's interpretation of Christ.

There's a scene in the DePalma flick The Mission where Jeremy Irons' character sits down with a pan flute to put the pagans at ease.
    One of them promptly breaks the thing into a thousand pieces. Instead of getting pissed he starts humming the tune, as he well knows he's going to get hostility as initial response.
    I imagine that's what it's like on this thread for people like Alma. It's called faith, dude. Either you have it or you don't. And in my view it's OK not having it, if you don't wish to have it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Songbird

That's a copout. And your Alma as Jeremy Irons example doesn't hold water as my posts carry not a molecule of hostility.

I'm just as amazed at it all as you are. Take that any way you want to.

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

What makes Christians right and Jews wrong? Or vice versa?

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

What system you were born or evangelized into

SFIND likes this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

G-d said so. Honestly, that's the most honest answer either of those could come up with.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

about what?

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I mean, it’s sorta like that.

It’s more like a poker game where I declare my hand and others insist they have better hands without showing them

12. Songbird

lol, my friend, if you believe your King-high Luke 1:26-38 beats my royal sampler, then by all means take the pot.

Draft saved Draft deleted