1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Not sure. I use male pronouns out of habit.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

as it relates to Christianity, yes.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

because it was a column.

Lots of good stuff in there. All true.

of course the most radical thing about Christ is that he said he was son of God, the only way to God, and outside of Christ, there is no reconciliation with God. The reason his teaching is so radically different is because he’s Immanuel, God among us. Christians are in reverent awe of that.

How’s it get twisted? Because we’re human. Because the church struggles to be the church unto itself and worries too much about the world at large.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Yes it is true, as it was true in 1720.

Gordon Wood wrote a book about the radicalism of the American Revolution, one for the 'duh' file. So was this editorial.

Christ was not conservative. That might be the biggest lie we've been told for the last 40 years or so.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Point of the piece was not that Jesus was a radical.

Point of the piece was that American Christians have forgotten Jesus was a radical.

ie,

First-century Christians weren’t prepared for what a truly radical and radically inclusive figure Jesus was, and neither are today’s Christians. We want to tame and domesticate who he was, but Jesus’ life and ministry don’t really allow for it. He shattered barrier after barrier.

I Should Coco and OscarMadison like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Ditto Judaism and Islam.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, not enough people do treat everyone as they would want to be treated.

My problem with Write's post wasn't the spectrum of sexuality. I've seen that idea before and I'm not arguing with it.

My issue was the comparison of homosexuality to alcoholism. Given some of her previous posts, I didn't think the benefit of the doubt was warranted.

Mngwa likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

American Christians today have forgotten, yes, some of these things.

Mostly what they’ve forgotten is that he’s God. Once you dismiss his divinity, he’s just another teacher whose words you can and pick and choose to your liking.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

... that he's God, or that he's a Jew forevermore?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This paragraph really hit on today of all days.

"Jesus’ teachings are so challenging, so distinct from normal human reactions and behaviors, that we constantly have to renew our commitment to them. Every generation of Christians need to think through how his example applies to the times in which they live. We need our sensibilities to align more with his. Otherwise, we drift into self-righteousness and legalism, even to the point that we corrupt the very institution, the church, which was created to worship him and to love others."

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You built this country on the foundation of me, a Jew ... a Jew who's every bit the American that you are ... yet I've always felt like an outsider and especially during the lead-up to Christmas.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I can't speak for Islam, but not quite on Judaism. God is entirely non-physical and thus non-gendered. We talk about Him in the masculine because in Hebrew grammar all nouns are gendered - A table is male but a bed is female. Most names for are male nouns. That certainly plays a role in the symbolism, but it's not exclusive. There is a name (or at least a way of referring to Him) that's a feminine noun, and Jewish mysticism goes to town on the feminine element of God. God is referred to as both the father and the mother of humanity.

Draft saved Draft deleted