1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Hearst Connecticut Media Group

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Adam94, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Hearst

General Assignment Sports Reporter

Hearst Connecticut Media Group’s journalists cover communities in Fairfield and New Haven Counties and beyond, serving readers across platforms, including our sites, app, newsletters, social media accounts and more for eight daily and 14 weekly newspapers.

We’re looking for an enterprising, audience-focused and collaborative General Assignment Sports Reporter to join us at a time when we’re growing digital subscriptions.

Reports on college- and high-school level athletic programs around the state, covering everything from games to feature stories and in-depth enterprise.

Duties and responsibilities:

Works collaboratively with editors, other reporters, photographers and audience team members to tell impactful stories across platforms that engage and retain local subscribers and other readers

Reports and writes quickly and effectively to break news online and follows up when appropriate with more in-depth enterprise pieces

Demonstrates a comfort level with analyzing and interpreting metrics and uses them to inform coverage decisions in real-time and the long-term

Effectively shoots and edits photos and video to accompany stories and is able to live tweet or go live on Facebook when it’s warranted for bigger breaking stories

Qualifications:

Experience writing or editing at a newspaper, news website or magazine

Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in journalism, English, communications or related field preferred

Demonstrated success working in a deadline-driven environment

Highly organized and detail-oriented with a proven ability to effectively juggle multiple tasks

Ability to speak a second language like Spanish a plus

Valid driver’s license and a working vehicle are required for this position

To apply:

Send a cover letter, resume and clips for review.

2. Dave Phillips

Dave Phillips New Member

Adam:

I am a veteran sportswriter, currently freelancing for Hearst Connecticut Media Sports. Who can I send my information to as I'd like to apply for this position.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Do I have to tell him or is it someone else’s turn?

awriter likes this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nah, go ahead. The anxiety you're holding in might trigger another java binge.

5. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Sorry Dave, I don't work for Hearst, just saw the job listing and posted it here. That first word "Hearst" at the top of the post is actually a small link, so follow that to the online application.

If you're already freelancing for them, I'm sure you have a better idea than I do about who to contact there!

6. 2muchcoffeeman

Dave …

YOU’RE HIRED! :D

maumann, HanSenSE and Adam94 like this.
  7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

How far is this from Tahoe, exactly?

rb

8. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Closer to your screen name than Tahoe!

9. WilliamCapmbell

WilliamCapmbell New Member

Is this relevant today or not?o_O

10. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Any update on this?

11. 2muchcoffeeman

You’re hired, but we can’t bring you on until February because the home office wants to hit its first-quarter revenue target which is why I’m going to be on furlough next week and everyone on staff has to take a furlough week before the end of January.

12. Adam94

Adam94 Member

They just posted it on Journalism Jobs yesterday, like six weeks after posting it on the Hearst careers site, so interpret that as you will.

Draft saved Draft deleted