1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 14 thread -- You can't spell Grogan without 'groan'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 9, 2020.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The hashmarks were brought in to their current width in either '72 or '73, IIRC. They expected the passing game to open up but instead teams ran the ball more. O.J.'s 2,003 yards came the year of or the year after the rule change.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

He’s in the conversation without a doubt.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nothing could be more predictable than the calls among Boston media and fans (latest was Ben Volin of the Globe) that the only way to make the playoffs is to bench Cam Newton (pretty bad last night verging on awful) in favor of Jarret Stidham. Since 20 years ago the Pats lost a pretty good QB to injury and his low-round draft choice replacement turned out to be historically great, then naturally that play should work again. Belichick's emphatic statement last night that Newton remained his quarterback in the face of a dismal offensive performance indicates to me that Stidham's body of work in practice must be dismal, too. But the start Stidham noise is just part of the general belief here that the Pats will always get a happy ending because that is their due.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I mean their choice coming into the season was Hoyer and Stidham and they went with Cam off the street. Stidham not only made the Pats think Cam was a better option, he made them think Hoyer was a better backup.

He may eventually be the answer but not with a team this bad and not this year.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That rule was a HUGE difference-maker.

And yes, the illegal contact rule was put in place that same year.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

I gotta say, Glenn, this Michael Bishop kid is special!

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am not a Cam Newton basher, but that 4th and goal "run" of his in the first half was one of the worst fourth-down plays I have ever seen.

Webster likes this.
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Imagine you are Jared Goff and get paid $30 million a year, and your sole job requirement is to not f***** up.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I had already mentioned that one. It was also known as the Mel Blount rule. One of the strongest points on Chuck Noll's resume was how quickly his team adapted, winning the next two Super Bowls because they just opened up the passing game with Bradshaw, Swann, and Stallworth.

10. Michael_ Gee

No question. The option run doesn't work too well when the pitch target has two defenders standing on his toes and the QB's already in a bear hug.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Patriots’ problems extend beyond the QB room.

12. Michael_ Gee

No doubt.

Draft saved Draft deleted