1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Dylan cashes in

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 7, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Supposedly went for north of $300 million.

Rolling Stone notes that UMPG does not get recorded rights — the direct opposite of Big Machine selling off Taylor Swift’s catalog — or the rights to future Dylan songs:

The owner of publishing rights typically controls whether or not songs are cleared for inclusion in TV, film, and ads; so, in Swift’s case, that’s Swift, and in Dylan’s case, it’s now UMPG. Which means…

Dylan’s songs could start appearing in more movies, TV shows, and commercials.
    Since Dylan has been more than willing to exploit his catalog this way in the past — memorably licensing his music to ads for Apple, Victoria’s Secret, Cadillac, Pepsi and more — this seems unlikely to lead to a major shift in how often you hear his music in contexts like those. There could be more to come, though; if you find yourself wondering why “Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands” is soundtracking a Peloton ad next year, you’ll know who to blame.

Dylan’s recorded output will stay the same.
    This deal does not cover the master rights to Dylan’s recordings — that is, the rights and royalties associated with any of the albums and songs he’s released as a performer — so there’s no more likelihood of Blonde on Blonde: The EDM Remixes or Freewheelin’ 2 than there was last week. This also means that there should be no change to future installments of Dylan’s ongoing Bootleg Series of unreleased vault recordings, which continue to be controlled by Dylan, his management, and his record company.

Look for more catalog sales from major artists to come.
    Dylan isn’t the only one with this idea: In 2020, a flurry of major artists are striking huge deals to sell their catalogs to investors and music companies. Stevie Nicks just did the same, as have Jack Antonoff, Tom DeLonge, Richie Sambora, Imagine Dragons, and dozens of other acts. That’s because these back-catalogs, in the evergreen era of streaming, have the potential to fetch their copyright owners a ton of money in the future. So artists and songwriters benefit by getting massive lump-sum payouts right now, in exchange for giving their revenue streams to new owners, who benefit by being able to scoop up whatever lucrative opportunities or streaming revivals are possible in the future.​

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I heard David Crosby bitching about this on NPR today. Fuck David Crosby. Fat fucker spent his entire career reaping the rewards of his band members’ talent.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I really don't see where UPMG comes close to recouping their investment; tt's not like Dylan has a catalog full of sing-along tunes that are ready for commercials.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The answer is blowing in the windfall.

playthrough and maumann like this.
  5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Good for Bob

garrow and maumann like this.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He’s been performing for 60 years. Let him cash out.

I agree with what Charlie Pierce posted on Twitter, that maybe there’s a health issue out there that we don’t know about.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Health issue or not, he's pushing 80. If he wants to cash out and control where the money goes (and possibly prevent one of those awful wrangles over his estate), that's his right.

I suspect that there will be quite a few Universal films using his songs soon.

wicked likes this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Now he can get a proper lap dance from that stripper.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

I’m going to delete my post until I’ve rechecked my math.

Still, streaming royalties are a ridiculous pittance and a scam. Buy the full album instead.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

WSJ looks at the tax advantages of Dylan cashing in now.

And as noted above, he’s 80. This probably cleans up estate planning. It may also fund a few dozen Wallflowers albums.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

God bless Jason Isbell.

OscarMadison, garrow and JRoyal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted