1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Number of cases wasn’t the criteria. Percent of tests coming back positive was - which has zero to do with increased testing.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't think so. At least not at first.

https://www-nbcnews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1194191?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA==#aoh=16070504217189&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/guidelines-call-14-day-drop-cases-reopen-no-state-has-n1194191

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Alabama's 7 day positive percentage is 27%.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We're at 8.8 percent (up from 6.8 a week ago) and I fully expect we'll be back to Phase 2 by Monday. I'm going to enjoy our ability to go out until then, but I understand completely if we shut it down. No protest here.

5. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

This is worrisome.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

How's the federal government doing on funding these things? Oh. That's right. A relief package has been sitting on McConnell's desk for months.

SFIND, garrow, Baron Scicluna and 4 others like this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Link?

I'll offer a few:

High COVID-19 Attack Rate Among Attendees at Events at a Church ...

COVID death toll increases after outbreak linked to church event

COVID Outbreak at North Carolina Church Linked to 12 Deaths and More Than 200 Cases

Senior Orthodox Church leaders downplayed COVID-19. Their deaths are causing alarm

Churches Were Eager to Reopen. Now They Are Confronting Coronavirus Cases.

A Fitchburg Church Is at the Center of a COVID-19 Outbreak: Here's What To Know

Meanwhile:

Did Floyd Protests Lead to a Virus Surge? Here’s What We Know

And, in fairness, a rebuttal:

Relationship of George Floyd protests to increases in COVID-19 cases using event study methodology

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And precisely demonstrating the other problem. A huge chunk of the country lives under state governments that are unilaterally blue. They don't need McConnell's permission to do shit.

But why pressure them when we can make sure Republicans get blamed, which is the important part, I guess?

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No argument with that here. Had my eye on him since he was elected mayor of San Francisco (same one that saw Kamala Harris elected DA). He's made all the right moves since, but I don't think the electorate is going to be kind to anyone in office during this. The questions are, then a) Will the Democrats recognize this? and b) Will the Republicans recognize this and run someone besides a Trump or Rush wannabee?

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Gating Criteria – Cases: There needs to be a downward trajectory of documented cases within a 14-day period or a downward trajectory of positive tests as a percent of total tests within a 14-day period (flat or increasing volume of tests).

12. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

I just no longer get how I'm supposed to keep "and by the people" in my mirror. "For the people" seem to be the ones raising guns, discarding masks, and causing issue. They seem to be winning. My state just spent I suppose (districts) hundreds of thousands of dollars of someone's money to give all teachers $1000.00 to make their classroom "best" for student return. They could pick the items they thought best. One thousand dollars, but never knowing WHEN the kids are coming back, hybrid or total, what the school has done, etc. Theater at best to assuage the masses.

Draft saved Draft deleted