1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBatard out at ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Dec 3, 2020.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

What's Gilad up to these days?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. There are some truly horrible decisions being made by the bosses at ESPN. For better or worse, the Barstoolification of sports media favors personalities and prolific content creators. The Dan Le Batard Show checked both boxes; with a rabid fan base, to boot. And, unlike Barstool, the content is mostly good. Throw in Dan's ability to recognize and promote diverse voices, like Mina Kimes and Pablo Torre and Bomani Jones, and he was more valuable to ESPN than any individual, save for SVP and the national insiders like Woj/Schefter/Passan.

This is just the beginning for Le Batard. Give him a station on Sirius/XM and watch him grow. *fat joke*

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

When he was at the Herald, I would often refer to him as LeBastard. Couldn't stand him.
    Once he got on radio and tv, he started to grow on me, and for about a 2 year span, he was a must watch in ye Olde Chefs house.
    He will land somewhere, and I promise he will pay Chris Cote' way and the shipping container will go with him.
    The swapping pieces of paper between Gotz and Foxworth is an all-timer.

4. WritersOnTheStorm

WritersOnTheStorm New Member

Amazing how quickly Mike & Mike/ LeBatard / SVP & Rusillo has become unlistenable Zubin & Key, mailed-in solo Greeny and Golic’s strident kid

playthrough likes this.
  5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I don't know what the "order" is now but, 20 years ago, if you were an ESPN Radio affiliate, you HAD to air Mike & Mike and, I believe, one other program. M&M was a required air. So all these stations would have 9 am to noon hosts or maybe an afternoon drive. That's why M&M got so popular. There was very little other sports competition in morning drive.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The fact that ESPN couldn’t figure out how to monetize a show with that rabid a fanbase tells me all I need to know about its current leadership.

The show is so good it ruined all other sports radio. Everything else is going 10 mph.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I stand with the kid, fuck that monkey.

OscarMadison and wicked like this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Way back in the day, that was everybody’s corner.

Machine Head likes this.
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

How can Greeny possibly carry a show by himself? Someone's gonna have to tell me because I'm not going to find out for myself.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I thought Zac Lowe was part of The Ringer Spotify podcast network already.

As mentioned I like that LaBatard gave voices to people I hadn’t really heard of. Bomani is excellent as is Pablo Torre and Mina Kimes. Unlike the frat boys at Barstool these people are smart and make for good watching/listening.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I watch solo Greeny at 5am a) there isn't much else on and I can't stand local am news and b) it's droll enough when I'm having coffee and am not awake it's perfect

That said, Greeny thinks the NFL begins and ends with Tom Brady and the NFC East. It's the same damn show every morning: Tom Brady, Eagles, Cowboys, Giants, Tom Brady. The best part of the show is their Token Diversity Wednesday when all the talking heads are Black. Those guys just riff off each other and Greeny is that nerd who gets lost in all of it.

I used to watch ESPN regularly during the evening, but now not so much. Monday Night Football is probably the only other time I turn it on. SVP is still good but I don't watch him apart from Monday

I never understood LeBatard's show. It was just Dan and a bunch of douches who never moved out of their frat house.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted