1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If I'm reading this right, sounds like they're going to dispense with OOC games in hope of having some sort of Section playoffs. Still waiting to hear from other sections I follow, although the Central Section did have a we'll announce something soon tweet.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This is a complete mess. Just scrap the fall sports season and come back with the spring sports season. Yup, no football. Even pushing football back and having it overlap with the spring sports seasons, you're not going to have enough officials.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

And in non-football news, boys volleyball was shifted from Season 3 (late spring) to Season 2 (scheduled to start in January). So, boys and girls basketball, boys volleyball and wrestling all going on at the same time. They may never be able to close the gyms.

4. MileHigh

That was an attempt to avoid losing two consecutive seasons of boys volleyball. As I told my athletic director brother, cancel the fall sports completely and come back in the spring. You lose one full calendar year of sports. But .... football is king out there (as is basketball), so they'll do all they can to get it in.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am not sure I get pushing California high school sports back to spring - is there anything that is going on that lends you to believe it is going to be 'safe' in three months from now?

6. MileHigh

Widely distributed vaccine is all. But that's closer to Memorial Day, I think.

7. HanSenSE

Major Div. II conference in California appears ready to throw in the towel for the academic year. Members are all CSU system schools.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Actually, yes. We've talked about it in the COVID thread, but I believe that a combination of

1) A metric fuck-ton of people getting infected over the holidays (something like 15-25% of the population will get it between early November and mid-January)

2) Large-scale vaccination coming online. (We should have around ~25% of the population fully immunized through vaccination by the end of February)

3) People getting scared by how bad December is going to be and changing their behavior

4) Weather effects working in our favor again

should all lead us to a shockingly quick recovery once we get to the otherwise of the Christmas horrors that await us.

I think there's an excellent chance high school sports can be played in March.

TigerVols and MileHigh like this.
  9. HanSenSE

Vegas, baby!

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bruins sent out a release today saying they are looking at outdoor venues, including Fenway, for when/if the NHL season starts.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The story is at least 7 NHL teams are looking for outdoor games, maybe multiple, to start the season. MLS stadiums instead of NFL.

RickStain likes this.
  12. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I assume that is so they can put some bums in the seats?

Going to be a grim financial year for the NHL.

Draft saved Draft deleted