1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 14 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Maybe he was referring to tenured English professor, not football coach.

Batman and Neutral Corner like this.
  3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Vanderbilt is a beautiful campus in a great city. It’s certainly top 5 in the SEC in that regard.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Baseball coach at Vandy, maybe?

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

“Vandy is a top-5 SEC job” is the dumbest thing ever uttered on that network. I know the job of the SEC Network is to claim every school and every team is the greatest ever, but come on.
    When the only facilities upgrade with shovels in ground is a locker room, that’s a problem.
    There’s a reason the AD before this one bolted after a year.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If I had to rank the toughest/worst P5 jobs, the four in some order or another would be:

Vanderbilt
    Kansas
    Duke
    Cal

I'm no expert on the Pac-12, so others can weigh in on the inclusion of Cal. But from what I recall, they've had some pretty significant financial issues in their athletics department. The facilities aren't great and they haven't been to a high-level bowl in a long time. They've been to three Holiday Bowls since 2004 but other than that it's been a bunch of whogivesafuck bowls like the Redbox and Poinsettia. Just seems like it would be a really difficult thing to bring them back to a point where they were a serious Rose Bowl threat.

Vandy has been hashed out. Kansas had one awesome year under Mangino but has been a fucking wasteland otherwise. Just an impossible recruiting situation, living off Texas scraps. Duke has been very good under Cutcliffe but that is a basketball school foremost and that will never change. They have at least spruced up their facilities a bit. I didn't include Wake because though the school is small, the facilities are really good. Great stadium and practice facility, and they seem to get decent support when they're good.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Cal was knocking on the door of a Rose Bowl in the early 2000s, during the early part of the Jeff Tedford era when he had Kyle Boller and then Aaron Rodgers. They had some bad luck of being good at the same time that USC had some of its best teams. They did beat USC in 2003 and had a chance to beat them in 2004 but missed on a goal line chance at the end of the game. If they'd won the latter, they'd have won the Pac-12. It was their only regular-season loss and then USC went undefeated.
    Since then, though, I think they've run into a lot of the problems you mentioned.

maumann likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12/1/12

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My best Cal story:

It is Earth Day, or something like that. The Berkeley campus is recognizing it with information booths, speeches, etc. One thing they did was put orange traffic cones throughout the campus to show where the earthquake faults were. One of the faults runs right down the middle of the football stadium, goal line to goal line. There are orange cones placed there.

Just so happens it was a major recruiting weekend for the football team. One assistant coach took a group of recruits to the stadium to show them around. One kid asks, "Coach, what are the orange cones for?" Coach answers, "We're having a 10K."

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Fuck the Sun Bowl. USC played Sparty there one year ('90, I think) and played like dogfuckingshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted