1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 12 thread -- As sweet as a Kolber kiss

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Nov 24, 2020.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Also, I wouldn’t consider Seattle -6.5 a “bad beat”, as many people are saying.

The Seahawks scored ZERO touchdowns in the second half. If the team you’re backing doesn’t get in the end zone for an entire half and you cover 6.5, that’s a very lucky gambling win in the NFL. Even the Bears got to 24 points (I had Chicago under 18 points on Sunday...)

Similar to Chiefs-Bucs. Kansas City didn’t score the entire fourth quarter. That’s why they didn’t cover -3.5 in a game they were covering for 55 minutes.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

“The Ravens outbreak is nearing its end,” one NFL Network reporter tweeted. Four days ago.
    Uh, no.
    Beyond point of no return.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Most NFL teams don't have a 2020 Carson Wentz lining up under center for the other team.

A last minute hail mary, and a 2 point conversion for a back door cover, by a qb playing like complete ass? That falls under "bad beat" in my book. And yes, I had Seattle -6.5.

I Should Coco and JC like this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. Eason wasn't bad that season. He was just overmatched by the Bears.

There were plenty of good quarterbacks that have had lousy Super Bowls. Ben Roethlisberger arguably had the worst performance by the quarterback for the winning team in Super Bowl XL against the Seahawks. Was any quarterback for a winning team worse?

5. outofplace

If it isn't contained, they shouldn't be practicing today. If it is contained, they should be playing tonight. If you want to argue that it is unsafe for a team to play when it hasn't had a live practice since the Saturday walkthrough Nov. 21, the day before its last game, then fine, but that isn't about COVID-related safety and other teams have been put in similar situations and told to suck it up this season. Of course, the NFL is making this shit up as it goes along, but this last delay was about competitive issues, not health. It was also about the Ravens' players threatening to throw a tantrum and getting their way.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Woodley also was bailed out frequently by Don Strock, who was a damn good backup.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Earl Morrall and John Unitas combined were terrible in Super Bowl V. Morrall was 7-for-15 with an interception and Unitas was 3-for-9 with a TD pass and two picks.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Big Ben had a 22.6 rating in that Super Bowl win, so I think he takes the cake. The only TD pass was thrown by Antwaan Randle-El.

9. outofplace

One of the dumber things posted in this discussion was the idea that my issue here is about the inconvenience of having to wait to watch the game. These delays have put the Steelers at a competitive disadvantage. This latest postponement helps the Ravens tremendously. They at least get Dobbins and Ingram back. Given their best path to victory is their running game, having their top two running backs makes a huge difference. Pittsburgh will now have to play three games in 11 days, facing Washington and Buffalo on short rest. The former may be the biggest issue. Washington basically got an extra bye, getting 11 days off before playing Pittsburgh Dec. 8. The Steelers will only get four days off before facing the Football Team. Given that the teams rarely play one another, preparation for the opponent should play a bigger role, so Washington will get a significant advantage heading into that game. Then the Steelers have another short week before they play the Bills, arguably the strongest opponent remaining on their schedule.

If you want to argue that it was all unavoidable, fine. I disagree, but fin, but the Steelers' chances of winning those three games have been diminished by all of the shuffling.

10. outofplace

That was the only one that came to mind, but I hadn't gotten around to looking it up. Given that Roethlisberger played the entire game and it was in a far more quarterback-friendly era, I think you have to consider his performance as being worse.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

John Elway in 32 was no great shakes. The game was so much different back then this isn't really fair, but in his two Super Bowl wins, the ones that got him in the Hall, Bob Griese threw a grand total of 18 passes and never hit 90 passing in either one.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Stats tell such an incomplete story. It's been posted here many times over the years - not just that Morrall threw an interception. But Johnny Fucking Orr was wide open on that pass - a flea flicker - that had worked to perfection earlier in the year against Atlanta. Morrall missed him completely.
    [​IMG]
    Morrall played so poorly, he was dogged for years with rumors that he threw the game for gamblers. THAT is a poor performance.

Draft saved Draft deleted