1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The whole tangent on here began when someone said that as a country our priorities are whacked, and posted something about how health care providers at UCLA Medical Center aren't being tested, yet UCLA college athletes have had something like 1500 tests. And that became an AlmaTM narrative about elites and what is cool and who the media favors, and maybe some of the other greatest hits that I missed as I skimmed through the thread.

Yet, the original point is pretty simple to understand (whether or not you think it says something negative about us societally or not). This was a story in the WaPo that was saying essentially the same thing, but on an even larger scale: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/11/27/nurses-athletes-sports-coronavirus-tests/

From Nov. 8 to 14, the NFL administered 43,148 tests to 7,856 players, coaches and employees. Major college football programs supply dozens of tests each day, an attempt — futile as it has been — to maintain health and prevent schedule interruptions. Major League Soccer administered nearly 5,000 tests last week, and Major League Baseball conducted some 170,000 tests during its truncated season.

Sandoval, meanwhile, is a 58-year-old front-line worker who regularly treats patients either suspected or confirmed to have been infected by the coronavirus. In eight months, she has never been tested. She says her employer, California Pacific Medical Center, refuses to provide testing for its medical staff even after possible exposure.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Football championships are this weekend too. Word is they are moving them so they can allow fans (currently to be played in Pueblo in an empty stadium). Basketball is supposed to start Jan. 7 and so far they are moving forward with it.

Starman likes this.
  3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

There have been disruptions, but I would not call the efforts to play football “futile.”

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

While I understand this is complicated, and that this debate plays out nationally in different ways, this was a pretty specific sidebar about UCLA football and UCLA nurses.

UCLA football's contribution to the local Los Angeles economy is relatively modest. The entertainment business, also local - and shorthanded here as "Hollywood" - is immense.

The comparison is a stinker.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

You are stacking the “deck.” “Hollywood” gets to be an entire industry. “Football” is merely one college program.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You were right.

This isn't complicated to me, though. The thing about Hollywood being "cool" and how football "sux" was silly. And I understood your point about the entertainment industry being more than George Clooney and Lady Gaga.

It's beside the original point to me. Who is emphasizing testing and who isn't still says a lot to me about us societally.

swingline, qtlaw and Azrael like this.
  7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It's increasingly clear college football is Alma's Baal.

HanSenSE, Mngwa and OscarMadison like this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Would college basketball be playing at all now if football had never started? I’d say no.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Welcome to the all-caps banner, Ron. All it’s missing is a slammer or five.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Pretty good baal-er pun in here for anyone with the guts to make it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted