1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Twitter shaming is a little too much for me. She tweeted something really stupid, her comments are there for everyone to see thanks to the magic of screenshots, let’s move on. She’s shut down her account but it seems like she was some rando, not a “truth-teller.” She probably had 10 followers.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

We probably already knew this, right?

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ugh.

Get ready for the daily death toll to start surging.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This guy who I follow and trust is pretty convinced that's just cross-reactivity to other seasonal coronaviruses:

6. RickStain

December is going to be awful. People aren't ready for it. We think we're used to it by now so the death totals don't bother us, but it's gonna be bigger than we've seen to date, and hospital overflow is going to be a huge (and very easy to dramatize on television) problem.

HanSenSE and Driftwood like this.
  7. RickStain

The first signs of hospital strain:

Everyone's gotten used to the idea that 0.5% of people who are infected, or ~2% of people who are formally diagnosed, will die. But when your hospital system starts to overflow, that number goes up quickly.

TowelWaver likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Our high school state football championships are this weekend. The state association was scrambling and adamant back in July and August that we had to have football season. They had various plans. One was essentially go straight to knockout playoff format. Why? That's their cash cow for the year.
    I'm getting rumblings that as soon as the title games are finished Saturday night, as early as Monday morning, the plug will be pulled on winter sports.
    I heard from a referee friend that 19 basketball games in our region were canceled last night alone.

MileHigh likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Hollywood" is more than 900,000 jobs, most of them clerical or blue collar - assistants, readers, accountants, drivers, carpenters, painters, electricians, etc - and at least $45 billion into the local economy.

Whatever.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Dyno, 2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Several counties in Virginia have already pulled the plug on winter sports, and I suspect many more will follow.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted