1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Never ceases to amaze me how many otherwise-knowledgeable sports fans and commentators can be so wrong about the "possible pro" platitudes. Playing to a plus-handicap at the home club and bagging a few celebrity titles isn't in the same stratosphere as four rounds on Tour.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

If these guys are serious about testing their games they need to play high level amateur events. I believe Romo played in a couple when he was in Dallas - maybe the North South am. There are way more sticks in that field than at Edgewater.

If you can’t compete in your state or city am/Open, you aren’t going to the PGA Tour or the Champions Tour. Also, if you choose not to compete in those events (or give up your am status), you aren’t serious about it.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I got to play with the former No. 1 at Miss a few years ago, he was maybe 30, at a very nice private club (member-guest, like he he was the guest, but a true ringer, not the buddy invite like me). That guy was nails on everything. Only issue was he would spray the driver a time or two; everything from approach to greenside was on point, only issue was whether he'd make the 15-20 ft. putt for birdie. Very much more refined that Curry's game. One factor on Curry is that he's playing to millions on TV but he's used to that as a NBA player so not sure that affected him like it would someone else.

Draft saved Draft deleted