1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's absolutely true. Would never argue otherwise.

But it's just not something that connects with people. The people --- some on this board, even --- who are gathering with others today have convinced themselves that they'll do everything possible to stay safe, or worse, are just hoping for the best. That's the power of human rationalization, which has little to do with bad orange man.

Now, you'll have to excuse me while I go eat a peanut butter sandwich in the company of one American Eskimo dog. :)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    RickStain likes this.
  2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Over here in London, you see this with all the cool and interesting volunteer jobs.

Want to spend a few days unpaid a week at the National Gallery? Or at an English Heritage site? Unless you've worked in academia for a couple of decades, don't even think about applying.

3. BTExpress

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So you are getting raked for trying to deflect Covid with obesity for reasons with an article implying they were going to die anyway? What's the matter with you?

SFIND likes this.
  5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

POS, I'd guess

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"Well, yeah the guy got shot through the head. But he'd just jumped out of an airplane without a parachute, so we really shouldn't count it as a firearm fatality."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So the Mrs. is not having a good day at all. It's the first time she's not been with her family for Thanksgiving. She's worried about her grandparents not being here next year and missing this, their final Thanksgiving. I've caught her wiping tears away a couple of times so far.

So to all y'all, I hope you're having as good a day as possible during this mess.

8. BTExpress

I didn't write it. Came from Johns Hopkins, the same group we've linked to time and again. Take it up with them. The data is the data, whatever it says, wherever it leads. If you know better, write the author a letter and tell her why she's wrong.

And I've told you over and over: obesity is not the issue; OUR CULTURE is.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hang in there, my friend.

Send her our love.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

It's a student paper not an official university source. It also quotes an economics professor and an economics student with no other sources. I suppose because they know how to analyze data but who knows. Seems like there are some other experts they could have found to help explain what we're seeing. The professor is also who put together the graphs. So this whole writeup is at the mercy of how they interpret it.

Regardless, it is showing excess deaths over all. This is a snapshot of only three weeks in April too. Nothing is exaggerated and still shows that preexisting conditions are a factor,as they are with any illness that someone might get and hasn't been argued in regards to COVID. The they would die anyway argument is just as played as anything, but in a way that's what this is doing, no?

11. BTExpress

I suppose. But it's more accurate than "bad orange man killed 265,000," which no one here ever takes issue with.

I mean, if deaths "due to" heart disease, cancer, etc., plummet in 2020, then we are by and large playing a shell game with the causes. It ain't because medicine all of a sudden has an answer for those serious ailments.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

We didn't go to my wife's sister's today, and that's the first time since before we were married (18 years, I guess for me). There were 15 of us in a Zoom counting great nieces and nephews. Of that 15, seven of our family has either actually had COVID or been quarantined. Wife's parents couldn't participate because they don't have the technology. All four sisters weren't happy.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted