1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Strikes me as Putin trolling.

Edit: just clicked the link and saw it’s the Borowitz Report. Satire.

HanSenSE, heyabbott and OscarMadison like this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's clearly labeled as satire. Criminy.

newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/putin-warns-that-us-will-be-controlled-by-americans

"SATIRE FROM THE BOROWITZ REPORT

Not the news"

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Exactly. There is no dignity in the White House any more. That should be No. 2 behind Covid on his failure list.

Mngwa and OscarMadison like this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The Politico piece on the Michigan GOP is "inside baseball" at its finest. If you haven't read it, it's worth the effort. The author got money quotes and presented the facts all the way down the line, from the GOP believing Trump was going to get blown out to flat-out storming Detroit in an effort to halt the absentee ballot count when they suddenly thought there was a chance. And even after they knew he had lost, they continued to sit on their hands.

Tell the truth or be labed a RINO? Apparently, everybody was willing to subvert the truth in order to keep their phoney-baloney jobs and not run afoul of their red-orange base, except for the state election board chair who nobody knew.

Lying and kneecapping the Constitution apparently works. And they'll definitely learn how to do it better in the future.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not familiar with Borowitz. I am now.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When I retired, I started work on a novel about fixing the Super Bowl. Now, there are about 10 different ways you could fix a game and few would be suspicious (just for openers, nobody in football thinks skulduggery when a kicker blows a clutch field goal. They just think "fuckin' kickers"). But they all had one fatal flaw. How do you insure that the game is close enough for one or two plays to fix it? Same thing with this election. Not close enough to steal. Got to be like Florida in 2000, one state and a very narrow margin.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

People are lazy, they want to believe the heading, i.e. Patriot Act (actually losing your privacy rights is not being patriotic), and skip over reading the actual contents.

That's on us grown ups.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

F**king lawyer should know better, doing this in court is grounds for DISBARMENT. A quote is representation that what is stated is true, not that the "idea" exists. Disgusting.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Andy Borowitz is so painfully unfunny it makes me glad I still read the physical copy of the New Yorker— where he is nowhere to be seen— instead of the website.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I recall him being on CNN in the mornings about 15 years ago, and his schtick played even more poorly on television.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

And I like The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, which he created. Onion style writing just ain’t his thing.

OscarMadison likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.