1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

11/22/63

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

And how accessible the escape route is right behind the grassy knoll.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I was asleep when RFK was shot, and traveling with my family when MLK was shot, so I didn't learn of those incidents right away.

The only other historical "never forget where I was when it happened" incidents in my life are the moon landing, the Kent State murders, and 9/11. Not even the two shuttle crashes compare to those.

maumann likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I was in the second grade. The other first grade teacher (not Mrs. Baxter, my first grade teacher, bless her) heard it on the radio and ran down the hallway screaming and crying. That's my most vivid memory, that and the wall to wall coverage on the TV afterward. The funeral cortege, the horse with the boots reversed in the stirrups, John-John saluting. Seeing the clip of Jack Ruby shooting Oswald over and over.

maumann likes this.
  4. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

My friend, that was my feeling, as well, the two times I have visited.

Fred siegle likes this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I wasn’t born yet but my mom told me about that day in school. I remember that on the 25th anniversary, A&E showed the real-time CBS News coverage with Cronkite all afternoon.

maumann likes this.
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Dealy is tiny, but Oswald had help. Get a job at the book depository, with a perfect line of sight, at the exact right time? C'mon. And, with the memory of bullets whizzing over his car, it wasn't long before LBJ rescinded JFK's orders to cut our Vietnam efforts. And I am definitely not given to lunatic conspiracies.

And RIP to Officer Tippett, who was also killed.

I saw the JFK limo at the Henry Ford museum recently (and the Rosa Parks bus and Lincoln assasination chair). It was rebuilt with a hardtop and continued to be used by POTUS, which was beyond horrifying to me.

Fred siegle and tapintoamerica like this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Aldous Huxley and CS Lewis also died that day.

maumann likes this.
  8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

How RFK went out in 1968 was almost as dramatic. He lay in state for two days at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York, the whole city coming out to pay its respects. Then carried on a train down to Washington, as hundreds lined the tracks to watch.

It's a crime against humanity that this country taught the Kennedy clan how to put on a really great show.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You can stand in the book depository window and wonder why the shooter didn't just drop a crate of bo0ks on the motorcade and stand there and go, "my bad, everybody OK?"

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Was the second 9/11 plane crash seen on live TV? I ask because the shooting of Oswald is one of the five most shocking moments seen on live TV. I’m wondering where it stands. Challenger also on the list.

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I saw the second one

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The RFK train from NYC to DC was so sad, seeing the huge outpouring of grief, yet so uplifting because it made me think so many in our divided country, Republican or Democrat, still cared deeply about it. I bet a million people watched that train go by.

Teddy Kennedy got a lot of grief, and deservedly so in many instances, but his eulogy of RFK might have been the finest moment of his deeply-flawed life.

britwrit and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted