1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Quotable Movie?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Speaking of movies, it amazes me how some classics are falling out of favor with today's kids.

I work with some college kids at a local outdoors store now (thanks Covid layoffs!) and one of them is president of his fraternity. I made an Animal House reference and got a blank stare. Another 50-year-old employee laughed. Then we had to explain the movie to him. Another kid loves to play golf, I asked if he'd seen Caddyshack and he said "Nah, what's it about?"

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of getting old.

Vombatus likes this.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My wife is considerably younger than me (humblebrag), and pretty much everytime I bring up a movie I consider a classic, she's either never heard of it or rolls her eyes.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I only take off my hat for one thing.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it a very quotable movie, but I do use a line from The Gumball Rally quite often: "What is behind me does not matter."

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Does a movie's quotability change based on which people you're with?

One of my old roommates was a TV reporter. We saw Anchorman together. He and I and a couple other TV friends quote that all the time. I have another friend who texts So I Married an Axe Murderer quotes back and forth with me.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Old School has a ton of good ones.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Houston, we have a problem."

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That was a much quoted line before it was ever in a movie.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Do younger generations even quote movies anymore? Worked with a group that included several younger people and I asked them what movies do they assume "everyone" has seen - they said Harry Potter. So whatever. I've been encouraging my niece and nephew to watch movies like Animal House and Fast Times if they want to understand me better. I imagine they have a hard time thinking going to school was ever that fun.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Fuck, not anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted