1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You don't NEED to say it, but if you choose to write that, it is certainly accurate and not editorializing. It's not necessary in a caption since most readers, presumably, will have read the headline and/or at least the lead of the story before they reach the caption. I would hope the dubiousness of the claims will have been mentioned by then.

I can concede that "baseless" wasn't necessary in the chyron, though I would hope you can concede that it indeed does have a place in a breaking news chyron, and is not CNN's "take" on the news, but rather a factual accounting of the story.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

There's a lot more precedent to acknowledge the President-Elect after Election Day than waiting like in 2000. Additionally, what is the downside to getting the process started? Oh yeah, your political standing. That's not part of the job. Do your job. No sympathy warranted.

garrow, Webster, Fred siegle and 6 others like this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

She has many options. She can quit. She can believe in the work she is doing and her supervisor. She can use drugs and alcohol responsibly or irresponsibly. She can exercise. She can wash away the shame of working for the Christian Right by engaging in the loveless demeaning sexual encounters with as many random strangers, pool boys, senators, congressmen and their wives children and friends as possible.
    She can seek a mental health expert.
    I certainly hope she doesn’t die soon.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

just do your job and shut the fuck up about it

I really should have told the city editor I could not cover the homicide at age 23 because of the weight of it on my shoulders
    (which it turned out to produce a fair deal of weight)

I'd learned the facts of life ... from watching The Facts of Life.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

A no-win situation? How about starting with admitting someone won and going from there ...

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Zero sympathy for whatever happens to her when this is sorted out. There is no comparison between 2020 and 2000. She got down and wallowed with the orange pig, she continues to indulge his delusions, so she can wear that stink for the rest of her life. Anything bad that happens because of a delayed transition is on her.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You'll never convince me the writer didn't choose the phrase "struggling with the weight" as a dig at her appearance.

tea and ease, lakefront and HanSenSE like this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And if you used it to cast a vote, you would have committed a crime.

Should somehow you get your Lexus up to 95 mph and you get a ticket, is it Lexus fault?

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

What if the government mistakenly put up speed signs that said Speed Limit 85MPH. But the law still put the limit at 55. Can you be convicted of speeding for doing 85 in the area where you passed the 85-MPH sign? You broke the law. The government itself told you could do it.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But it can be both.

Our company recently had us take this course about identifying race and ethnicity in stories.

In ALL the examples, identifying the person's race was a "factual accounting." The questions were deeper than that.

--- Was it necessary?
    --- Was it misplaced (in a part of a story to give a heightened sense of importance).
    --- Was it explained?
    --- Was other pertinent information omitted?

You CAN write something 100 percent true and still have it reek with all kinds of biases.

School zones are impossible. Fucker idles at 25.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So let's look at that.

Trump makes baseless claims about election fraud and fires an HHS civil servant who said there was no fraud.

Is it necessary to point out that Trump's claims are baseless (i.e. -- he has no evidence of what he is alleging)?
    YES. Otherwise the suggestion is that there is evidence of his lie.

Is it misplaced (in a part of the story to give a heightened sense of importance)?
    NO. It is integral to the story.

Is it explained?
    OBVIOUSLY. The story pointed out that his claims are baseless (i.e. -- no factual foundation)

bigpern23, wicked and Fred siegle like this.
  12. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That is a very good point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.