1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, I did receive an absentee ballot request form 6 weeks ago from the office of Ron DeSantis, governor of a state in which I haven't lived in nine years.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Obviously the first example editorializes by calling the flat-earthers "delusional," but other than for reasons of word economy, what is wrong with using the second example? It's factually accurate.

Similarly, the chyron describing POTUS's fraud claims as baseless is accurate, even if it could be shortened by removing the word. There is no basis in fact for the claims, so to describe them as baseless is both factually accurate and necessary, since omission of the word inherently gives the fraud claims some credibility. It isn't an opinion that the claims are baseless.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Trump's bunch ponied up $3 million to recount two counties in Wisconsin (Milwaukee and Dane) that Biden crushed.
    Please, please, please, let them spend that money and Biden's margin increase.

4. BTExpress

My last word on the subject.

Let's say I'm running a photo of Trump supporters at a protest, complete with their "Stop The Steal" signs and whatnot.

In the caption, do I need to say they are "supporting Trump's baseless claims of election fraud," lest I be giving legitimacy to the protesters' cause by omitting it?

5. Driftwood

Did McCrae Dowless offer to come pick it up from you?

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

No.

But a direct quote from the President? Yes, you do.

7. BTExpress

Speaking of which . . .

His Wiki calls him a convicted felon.

Far as I can tell, he's been indicted on a bunch of shit that still hasn't gone to trial. Has he been convicted of anything?

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

By choosing to run the image you need put it in context. Was the sign related to a baseball game? Or members of the trump faithful carrying religious messages.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And this is what we’ve gotten wrong since the start. A presidential candidate should have been held to a higher standard than “he’s the batshit crazy homeless guy hanging out on a Manhattan subway platform screaming weird shit.”

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

He was convicted of felony fraud in 1992 and served six months of a two-year sentence.

He was also convicted of felony perjury in 1990.

BTExpress likes this.
  12. Driftwood

I don't know. It's been two full years since all that went down, so you'd think with that whole speedy trial thing, something would have come out of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.