1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas City Star to sell building, move printing to Des Moines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

There are a lot of bad takes on this board. This one belongs in the hall of shame.

ChadFelter likes this.
  2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Smaller paper, obviously, but Lawrence was printing in KC too. Wonder what their backup options are. Topeka, I guess.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I’m sure the staff cares. I’m sure the city cares. I don’t think the ownership cares. Sorry if I didn’t make that clear.

I’ll edit to say, I think it’s clear they don’t care about next-day coverage of games at this point.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

That’s basically it, right there. A nicer way of putting it: The print product is no longer the primary focus of a local media outlet. And, truly, not that there is anything wrong with that.

ChadFelter and PaperDoll like this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

McClatchy has made that clear over and over. You're a subscriber? You get every score and election result you could want. Just not in the place you have may seen it 10-20 years ago.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, the only other paper with a press is Hutchinson and it surely doesn't have the capacity. They also overlap quite a bit in circulation area, making them direct competitors. Even if Hutch had the capacity, I don't see Wichita making a deal to be printed by its competitor.

7. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Bastards.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I was working a baseball tournament in KC this summer. My highway to the stadium took me right by The Star building.
    Cool looking building, but felt like it was no more than about 8 feet off the highway.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Isn't that how most of them are? It would make sense, in that Ye Olde Days, you'd want the newspaper building to be near town hall, or failing that, near the quickest way to get everywhere. It seems like it is more of a recent development that you put the newspaper office in a bland strip mall or corporate park that's isolated from everything.

10. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Ye Gods... 20 years ago, I worked for a paper not too far from Wichita, in a county with 20% of that population, and we had 25,000 daily subscribers. If the Eagle's fallen that far, they may be below 5,000 by now.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Since McClatchy went into bankruptcy they no linger file 10-q's. But in 2019 they had 185,500 digital only subscribers and 298,100 print subscribers who had activated their digital service. Over 30 newspapers, many of them in large metro areas.

Which explains why the industry is going to hell.

Liut likes this.
  12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I was a photo intern at the KC Star in the early 80s. They have a cool old building.

My mom lives about half-hour from Wichita. She is dropping her subscription to the Eagle after 30 years because she said the annual cost for daily delivery is nearing $1,000.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted