1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Maya was in three sketches tonight while Cecily/Aidy were missing and they couldn't find anything better for Melissa than that impression on Update of the Little Rascals?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

sgreenwell and PaperClip529 like this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wondered about that. Really - when you think about it - SNL could have a revolving door of players who come and go through the season. Always was stunned SNL had to take a "a week off" after starting the year with three fresh eps - but they are going to start with five before their first week off this year because of the election.
    The cold opens have been pretty weak and overlong - agree that Carrey's Biden hasn't found the comedic hook yet and the writers are clearly still searching for one given how one week he's gentle and aloof and the next he's "scrappy." Even Sudekis' Biden lacked depth.
    The writing hasn't been crisp. Heck the visit to the psychic sketch from last week could have been a lot funnier.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Was Maya wearing the same wig she did for "Dick in a Box"?

5. nietsroob17

Ooh. Dave Chappelle hosting next week's SNL. Only fitting because he hosted the first show after the 2016 election.

lakefront likes this.
  6. nietsroob17

Glad to see them keep the tradition of the Broadway/musical numbers, but my favorite is still the Willy Wonka bodega bit.

7. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I've been humming along to "Strollin' to the polls" all day.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I thought it was a solid episode, with that being the standout, but they need to find some more stuff for Mulaney to do. His fourth time through, the recurring bits are still funny, but not as strong as first couple times.

Also, I have to confess - The Jost-Che "Weekend Update" is pretty good to me now, as someone who thought Norm's "Update" was one of the better ones. The brutal jokes that land with a thud with the audience always make me laugh, and there's at least one joke each segment that they clearly didn't get to read ahead of time, and their reaction is always genuine.

gingerbread likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. nietsroob17

That's a great combo.

11. nietsroob17

Things have been so crazy all week, up until 12 hours before showtime, this is where we get to see how good the writers and cast are.

Wenders and sgreenwell like this.
  12. nietsroob17

So it looks like tonight, we could have Saturday Night Tape Delayed.

Draft saved Draft deleted