1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Travis Roy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Oct 29, 2020.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Haven’t seen it but on Twitter, but Travis Roy passed away.

In 1995, 11 seconds into his first shift at Boston University, he slid awkwardly into the boards and became a quadriplegic. His Travis Roy Foundation donated millions for paralysis research.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    He did all he could with what he was given. No one can want or ask for more.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

11 seconds into his first shift and it was all over. Such a cruel thing. That hung with me for a few years after it happened. It was 25 years ago.

I see "11 seconds" and think of the 2004 Vermont D-I field hockey title game. I covered the best program in the state.

In this year, the best program in the state had the best player in the state.

To make a long story short, Maegan (16) raced the opening ball down the middle, zig-zagging thru all-comers, deked the freshman goalie, and smacked it into the back of the cage for a 1-0 lead just 11 seconds into the game. Neither team scored over the final 59:49 and the best team in the state repeated as champions.

I was the only photog to get this shot, based on a hunch and dumb luck of being in the right place at the right time.

11 seconds into the championship.

[​IMG]

playthrough and HanSenSE like this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Way to make it all about you. Jk

Songbird likes this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The way BU and Jack Parker stood by him was atypical, and they should be commended for it. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted