1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SLC Tribune to end daily print publication

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

With the Trump USPS, it better be the Thursday of the previous week.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

One reason that JOA's did not last was that it was more profitable for the paper that controlled the printing plant to discontinue the JOA after the first contract. Initially the JOA made both papers money because it is cheaper to run one printing plant two shifts a day than two plants one shift a day. But after the first contract the owner of the press would refuse to renew. The other papers owner would not to invest in new presses and instead close, giving the first publisher a monopoly.

Why is this relevant today? While JOA's are almost extinct papers have moved to contracting publishing in one central facility. When the contract is set to renew if the printer declines to renew where does the paper that had outsourced continue to print? Newspapers can not economically justify setting up a new plant. So they will close and sell their circulation list to the paper that has the presses. The paper that had done the printing closes the newsroom of the acquired paper and takes over the remaining circulation.

I think many reporters will lose jobs when this starts to happen. Off the top of my head I could see this happening in Fort Worth, Miami and LANG.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  3. LanceyHoward

What is the name of the city in Indiana that still has competing papers (or did until recently) ? Trenton and York still have two papers, correct? Does the Las Vegas Sun still have some arrangement with the Review-Journal?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  4. LanceyHoward

The Newhouse papers, which include the Portland and Cleveland, only have home delivery 3-4X a week. I think they still publish a newsstand edition daily. McClatchy, which publishes in Charlotte, Sacramento, Fort Worth, Kansas City and Miami (not sure what of their markets is larger, given the presence of competing dailies in the South Florida and DFW metro areas) have given up on Saturday print editions.

A long way of saying I am not sure.

5. LanceyHoward

The Deseret News is free on-line. The paper is owned by the LDS church which owns lots of other businesses and can subsidize the Deseret-News. I can see the church continuing to offer a free Deseret News website as something of church bulletin. Which means the Tribune does have a chance. There is no way that enough people will pay the Tribune for an electronic subscription to stay alive when they can get a similar product for free.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Finally, two major newspapers go online only. There's no reason for anybody to work there as a reporter if it's all online. Work for yourself and get your own ads and money for your pageviews.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You’ve said a lot of stupid things. This might be the stupidest. Congrats.

8. Situation

Situation Member

Why's that?

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You mean why is it stupid to say a reporter shouldn’t work at an online-only publication?

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

If you hang out your own shingle, you also have to have the financial resources to have a legal team or at least a lawyer because you are still open to the possibility of libel even if you're just a citizen journalist at this point. And your legal expert needs to be versed in the first amendment rights of journalists.

HanSenSE and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Do his players still hang out at The Bucket after the game?

12. Situation

Situation Member

Sure, if you're strictly trying to be a reporter and make a go of it online, you might not get very far. But there's tons of money to be made through writing online. I've done it, and it's mostly passive income.

Draft saved Draft deleted