1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

One of the things that's really hard to reckon with is the rise of religious zeal on the right.

And zeal isn't really the right word. There's piles of notable Republicans, who are openly advocating for the end times to hasten's Jesus's return to earth.

Mike Pompeo, fourth in line to the presidency, is one such republican. Mike Pence, the vice-president, is another hoping for everything to end, so Jesus will be back and he can get his heavenly reward while still living.

They're both Christian Zionists and they're nuts, inspired by a TV preacher normal people laugh at.

The problem with them and many of the other boomer types, and it has already been said many, many times, is that they've conflated their own mortality with the end of everything.

The Evangelicals Who Pray for War With Iran

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’ve never seen the show. Well, more than a clip on here or something.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

30 million people huh?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just point out to them that babies and pregnant women would die during the End Times, and ask them why they're against babies dying in abortions, but in favor of babies dying during the End Times.

Their answers should be quite interesting.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

You can't negotiate with religious zealots.

The biggest cult of all.

You can persecute them, though.

OscarMadison and heyabbott like this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Undecided" at this point likely means something like "I'm undecided whether I should stay home or get off the couch and vote for Tulsi, because I'm sure as hell not voting for either of these two motherfuckers."

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Gasp! More extreme than two of the least extreme justices in history!?!?

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This begs a great question: What portion of all members of Congress has ever cast a vote on a Constitutional amendment?
    Four current Senators have done so: Shelby, Grassley, Leahy and the Turtle.

maumann likes this.
  10. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Barry Goldwater was full of crap in a lot of ways, but many years ago he nailed the danger in letting the religious nutjobs have a seat at the table:

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know; I've tried to deal with them."

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Wanna really knock a religious type for a loop? Ask them, "So you believe God is everywhere, right? Sees everything? We can pray or talk to God at any time?" They'll reply, "yes." Then ask, "Then what's with the building? Why do I need to go to church once a week to pray when you just told me I can talk to God anytime I want? Is the reception better for my prayers there or something?"

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The new confederacy.
    The Republican Party has become a new kind of Confederacy. They are secessionists without taking the revolutionary step of seceding, power-obsessed rebels who fight to preserve a bygone America by gaming the system. They have managed to win the presidency twice without the most votes, maintain control of the Senate although vastly outnumbered in the national electorate, and build a majority on the Supreme Court by stealing an appointment that belonged to a sitting Democratic president.

Republicans: The New Confederacy

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.