1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

How dare elected officials represent the wishes of those who elected them!

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

BTW, every registered voter in California received a ballot in the mail.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The Supreme Court has the power it has because the legislative branch has basically ceded its constitutional right to make laws and instead only concerns itself with being re-elected. The last amendment was in 1992 -- and concerned Congress' own compensation!

Where are the amendments for the right to women to choose? For a nationwide minimum wage tied to inflation? For a minimum standard of health care? For the rights of undocumented citizens? To enforce rights in confrontations with law enforcement and demand speedier trials?

What exactly has Congress been doing for three decades? I get that McConnell is basically controlling the puppet strings now, but I can't vote for or against him where I live.

If we're relying on nine UNELECTED people to make those decisions, we're doing it wrong. We've elected representatives who get nothing done and then we re-elect them again. In 12 years, we've basically gotten ACA and a corporate tax break while the Executive and Judical branches are manipulating the government.

The system is broken. But it's not the one we're worried about this morning.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Heh. Yeah.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I did not know that. Thanks. That's more impressive to me now.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

especially surprising given eastern europe's long history of democratic elections

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

He wouldn't need advisers either. Bo knows ...

wicked likes this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, what became the 27th amendment was actually proposed as part of the original Bill of Rights in 1789 but didn't make the cut. The only reason we have it now is because a student was doing a research project and discovered it still kind of floating around out there. It was passed more for more of "hey, cool" reason than one of concern.
    The last meaningful Constitutional amendment this country has ratified was the 26th in 1971. Think about that.

TowelWaver and maumann like this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

unhinged ? *

*Heard this caused some upset on the internet today. Sorry for that. Was using it only in the generic SJ stylebook way that requires every location to be '15 minutes from Lake Tahoe;' every woman to be a '6;' every email or PM to be 'unhinged.' We regret the misunderstanding.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Emails aren’t really verboten, are they? I know sharing PMs is not allowed, but his emails?

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

we are not going to change the rules. Everything being proposed is being proposed via the existing rules

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.