1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

And in all honesty, many who live here can handle a foot and a half of snow. Even more so if you live in the mountains. My in-laws live in Winter Park and one time we spent a few days there were it snowed about two feet and I was amazed at how easy it still was to get around! We got a foot here. Probably won't be too bad getting out tomorrow. It's obviously more impactful with the fire, but those in evacuation areas aren't going back yet anyway.

Pilot and MileHigh like this.
  2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

A huge factor in mountain towns maintaining their roads is the fluffy, dry snow they’re more likely to get. That’s MUCH easier to handle than the wet, sloppy shit that falls elsewhere. When that shit does fall up here, it causes problems just like anywhere, snaps tree limbs, etc.

MileHigh, maumann and Roscablo like this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I guess they did do something right.

MileHigh and maumann like this.
  4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Whoa. This is literally my friend’s next door neighbor.

I never updated here but their cabin DID survive. Apparently the firefighters were up in there. 4-5 houses in that little spot burned and about as many survived. They haven’t been able to see it yet but obviously they got pretty lucky.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

That's incredible and wonderful.

Pilot likes this.
  6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

If you listened to the scanner the night it went to hell in that area, they really did a phenomenal job trying to save everything they could. I said earlier in this thread that these fires have burned some of my favorite areas in the mountains and I think it's because although the fires have gotten huge they've really focused on protecting the areas not only where people live, and obviously there have been some losses, but also places people really love. There are three camps I know of in the Cameron Peak area, a Scout, Lutheran and CSU's mountain campus, and the fire reached and went into all of them but didn't do any significant damage. These fires got to the towns and cities of Grand Lake, Estes Park (both Cameron Peak and Troublesome) and Red Feather Lakes but didn't destroy any of them. That's luck to an extent but also how they fought these fires that they didn't end up ridiculous catastrophes. There's a lot of credit to be given to the firefighters with these, especially with the scope, unpredictability and difficult terrain.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Finally, something to smile about. Great story.

8. MileHigh

The work they have been doing and the conditions they have faced have been off-the-charts, especially as you mention the massive terrain and the speed with which these fires are moving.

Estes Park got 15 inches of snow from Sunday into Monday. Cameron Peak and East Troublesome won't have growth today, but it's expected to dry out as the week goes on.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Yes, two canyon areas next to Irvine in Orange County are on fire, whipped by 60 mph wind gusts. We live a couple of miles away and I would think that in order to get to us, it would have to level 2,000-3,000 houses and a dozen tracts. Dammit, we just got an emergency evacuation notice. The street that is the far boundary is the one that goes past my tract.
    I do not foresee any problems.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Good luck to you and those around you. I can't imagine.

ChrisLong likes this.
  11. MileHigh

Be safe, my friend. Saw a fire up in Santa Ana Canyon evacuated Yorba Linda, which is the area I was at when I was last living out there.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And the fire is still smoldering …

Draft saved Draft deleted