1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 MLB postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sherriff throws a nasty split-finger etrog but Joc swings a nastier lulov.

Elliotte Friedman likes this.
  2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I don’t know, but I’d be surprised if that’s true. Italian surnames names rarely start with “De.” If the family were Spanish then sure.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess its good to know that a-holes who leave some players off of ballots is part of a long-standing tradition in HOF voting. You could drink for free all night with some of these "Who had a higher HOF voting percentage Jackie Robinson or Don Sutton" -

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to be blasphemous, but what was Jackie Robinson's legacy strictly as a player? If you looked at his career stats and achievements without knowing everything else he meant to the game, where would he be ranked? Or is it impossible to separate the two?
    If someone else had been the first to integrate and he came along 20 years later and had the same career, would he still have been a Hall of Famer? Or would he have been viewed as just a really good player who wasn't quite at that level?
    Not having been around when he played, he always struck me as a guy whose status was rightfully elevated a great deal because of his importance off the field, more than what he achieved on it.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

At the time Robinson was regarded as one of the top all-around players in the game. The era was less stat-obsessed. He was seen as a Pete Rose type, capable of doing whatever was needed for a win. And anyway, separating his career from his status as an American historical figure is both impossible and silly.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Having read a lot about baseball in that era, Dodgers and their opponents are almost unanimous in their feeling that in his prime (1947-54), no player had a larger impact on a game he was playing in - either through his bat, glove, legs, or his influence on his team and how his take-no-prisoner attitude impacted the other team - than Jackie Robinson.

He was a force.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Years ago I worked with an older guy who was a huge baseball nut and had seen Robinson as a Montreal Royal when he came to town to play the Toronto Maple Leafs, said he was the "greatest athlete that's ever stepped on a baseball field".

maumann likes this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Bo Jackson and Jim Thorpe might be the other two of the handful of names I'd place in that category.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thanks. Obviously he was a larger than life figure because of what he did and endured -- and that would be enough to make him a Hall of Famer on its own -- but I hadn't read enough on the other side of it to know if he was more than that on the field, and his stats (1,500 hits, good average but modest power, not a ton of stolen bases) had me wondering if his legend was bigger than his talent. Sounds like the talent matched the legend.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It's the ball. Meadows couldn't hit a ball off a tee.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Holy shit, what an insane ending.

Draft saved Draft deleted